ASUS Wants to Eliminate Distracting Borders in Multi-Monitor Setups with Its ROG Bezel-Free Kit

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Many gamers have transitioned to multi-monitor setups for a more immersive gaming experience, but they come with a pretty annoying caveat: visual gaps created by the displays' black borders. Ignoring them is the simplest solution, but ASUS is marketing a new product for those who are severely distracted from enjoying what should be a singular, expansive view.

The ROG Bezel-Free Kit is an accessory that ASUS claims can "visually eliminate the gaps" between displays, creating the "appearance of one extra-large wraparound monitor for a totally immersive gameplay experience." It comprises "optical micro-structures that refract light, bending it inward to hide the bezels underneath."

It's hard to say how well this works without seeing it in person, but ASUS's installation video for the ROG Bezel-Free Kit does imply that it works as advertised. There's a certain degree of irony in the product, however. The goal of the accessory is to eliminate distraction and create a clean, all-encompassing look, yet the product itself could be unsightly for some.

Users would be trading thin borders for large, vertical strips with black spacers on the top and bottom of their multi-monitor setups. That said, ASUS's accessory remains one viable option for improving immersion.

I saw that and frankly, it looked gimmicky to me. Not only that, but for doing multi-monitor setups, you really need to use higher end IPS panels or something with good viewing angles. TN doesn't get it done there. Not only that, but support for this in games is poor at best and with SLI and Crossfire basically being dead now, such a configuration isn't very appealing.

And I ran 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's for several years using two or more of the most powerful graphics cards available at any time I was doing this. I'd likely go back to that if it was worth doing.

Might be worth it... But aren't ultrawide monitors fairly common by now?
At 110 , its not horrible, but maybe should sell one piece for 60 or so for dual monitor. I guess one can sell half of the kit too.

"hiding" the bezels by bending the light between them... might look ok at a distance but up close it's going to be all distorted and crazy.

For some reason this reminds me of the "tv magnifier glass" things people used to put in from of their console TVs to make them look bigger. It's just all light distortion.

Didn't Vega remove their bezels completely for a crazy triple wide awhile ago? They should sell 3 pack monitors pre done like that.

Seen this b4, seems they haven't given up on it yet so their must be something to it.

Give me kits that let me 'slot' together two or three or more monitors that will see them share display technology. Where if there is tearing it's in the same place on all three and that they synchronize their screen draws to be in time with each other.

I think you all get what I mean. This solution is not a solution.

Give me kits that let me 'slot' together two or three or more monitors that will see them share display technology. Where if there is tearing it's in the same place on all three and that they synchronize their screen draws to be in time with each other.

I think you all get what I mean. This solution is not a solution.

Agree. Samsung's microLED "The Wall" can do that, it has these huge modular microLED panels that you can plug and play together to make various shapes/sizes. It can even work with non-rectangular display shapes. So maybe it's coming someday....

Build_modular_desktop072718.jpg

Didn't Vega remove their bezels completely for a crazy triple wide awhile ago? They should sell 3 pack monitors pre done like that.

Even if you do that, you will still see a separation between each display because internally the panels aren't borderless.

Even if you do that, you will still see a separation between each display because internally the panels aren't borderless.
Good point. It would still give you less gap to help make this solution even better probably though, maybe. I'm just looking for a good 43 inch panel now and basically given up on triple screens.

Become a Patron!
Back