ASUS X670E-PLUS WiFi - Ryzen 7 7700X: Unable to install Windows Operating System

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone around here could lend an ear.

Putting together a new system, and every time I try to boot off a USB stick to install either Windows 10 or Windows Server 2019, I get an immediate BSOD for System Thread Execution Not Handled.

Everything I'm read points to faulty RAM or Drivers. Since it's an Installation ISO, I'm not sure how I'm going to fix the driver problem if it's that. I've put the RAM through its paces with MEMTEST86 and both sticks pass with flying colors.

I'm able to boot off my old NVME stick (for my X470 / 5800X CPU), so I'm thinking the install doesn't have a good AMD driver for something.

The system is bare-bones right now with just a Video Card. Nothing else I can think of that is causing it.

Any thoughts?

Updated OP: I can install Windows 11 (with same said USB stick). It's most definitely a driver issue somewhere.

Thanks,

- Rob

Last edited:
My only thought here:

Try downloading a fresh ISO, and using a different thumb drive in a different USB socket

That eliminates a whole lot of possibilities right there

Also remotely possible that, being a new chipset / CPU revision, you might need to try a Win11 ISO? Or maybe a Linux Liveboot ISO just to see if that boots?

My only thought here:

Try downloading a fresh ISO, and using a different thumb drive in a different USB socket

That eliminates a whole lot of possibilities right there

Also remotely possible that, being a new chipset / CPU revision, you might need to try a Win11 ISO? Or maybe a Linux Liveboot ISO just to see if that boots?
I've downloaded the Nov 22 version of the Windows Server 2019 ISO. That didn't work for me. I also tried using RUFUS to create the ISO. That didn't work either. I didn't want to install Windows 11 but I just might have to, as I don't have a key (or download yet) for Windows Server 2022.

I've also tried various USB3 sticks to no avail. Maybe I have to use an older USB2 drive? I'll give that a whirl next. Thank you Brian for your input! Greatly appreciated!

Odd I actually just redid a laptop using a USB 3.2 thumb drive but it was windows 11. What guide are you using to create the 2019 server boot thumb drive? And is the bios even seeing the 3.2 thumb drive as bootable?

Lastly... I've noticed in listings online thst not all usb 3.2 thumb drives are described as bootable.

Odd I actually just redid a laptop using a USB 3.2 thumb drive but it was windows 11. What guide are you using to create the 2019 server boot thumb drive? And is the bios even seeing the 3.2 thumb drive as bootable?

Lastly... I've noticed in listings online thst not all usb 3.2 thumb drives are described as bootable.
It was a generic thumb drive that I have used in the past for Windows 10, ESXi, etc.

I generate my thumb drives using Rufus. Always have (quite successfully too). I'm about to follow this guide: Add Drivers to 2019 ISO Image
Hopefully I can add all the AMD stuff to the ISO and try again..

Updated OP: I can install Windows 11 (with same said USB stick). It's most definitely a driver issue somewhere.

Last edited:
Sounds like Windows Server to me...

I've tried using it in the past, with some success, but hardware support is a bit of a nightmare. Stuff like not supporting consumer-grade NICs and AMD not supplying Radeon drivers for the OS at all. Pro cards or don't bother when it comes to AMD GPUs on Windows Server, while Nvidia and Intel are no problem. Past experience, of course.

Sounds like Windows Server to me...

I've tried using it in the past, with some success, but hardware support is a bit of a nightmare. Stuff like not supporting consumer-grade NICs and AMD not supplying Radeon drivers for the OS at all. Pro cards or don't bother when it comes to AMD GPUs on Windows Server, while Nvidia and Intel are no problem. Past experience, of course.
My Windows 10 ISO did the same thing though (Albeit it was 1903, and not 2202).

Become a Patron!
Back