AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile Are Finally Replacing SMS Messaging

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is it finally time for RCS to shine? After extensive championing by Google, the world's top carriers have agreed to replace the aging SMS messaging standard in a joint venture called the Cross Carrier Messaging Initiative (CCMI). A new Android app with RCS features (e.g., high-resolution attachments, read receipts, typing indicators) is planned for release next year.

Up until this point, the primary advocate for RCS has been Google, which bet on it as the only platform-level messaging service for Android. It was a bet that carriers haven’t backed until now. Verizon isn’t supporting RCS on the Pixel 4 after doing so on the Pixel 3, for example. Google recently stopped waiting for carriers in the UK and France and rolled out RCS support for Android phones using its own servers.

Reactions: _k_
Here is what you are not being told.

That new messaging format. Yea... that's going to use data. And unless you have unlimited data now ALL of those free text messages... they will start costing money. Look for the note on your contracts about free messaging being SMS messaging only.

What's wrong with SMS anyway?

What if I don't want people to be able to see whether or not I have seen their messages or if I am typing?

Become a Patron!
Back