Atari 2600+ Console Launches This November

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PLAION and Atari have announced that the Atari 2600+ will be launching worldwide on November 17, 2023, and is available to pre-order now for $129.99 (€119.99 / £99.99). This is a modern-day, faithful recreation of the 1980 console that includes a number of classic games (e.g., Missile Command) and a joystick controller based on the original.

See full article...

I have to admit I kinda want this. Pitfall, Jungle Hunt, SeaQuest, Yar's Revenge, Cosmic Ark, Dragonfire, Star Voyager.....man the memories playing those would bring back.

So I'm wondering how this system works. Original Atari 2600 chips on a custom PCB (like Analogue's original Nt, which used NES chips on a custom PCB)? FPGA machine like Analogue's awesome Nt Mini (NES), Super Nt (SNES), and Mega Sg (Mega Drive/Genesis)? Emulation (emulation consoles suck @ss)? I'm hoping FPGA, but I doubt it. If it is, then I'd be down for a purchase.

Atari 2600 was my family's very first console. I think my mom had it before I was even born. It's also the only console we do not still have. When we moved to a different state in 1989, the Atari 2600 was "lost" (I think the movers stole it). My mom got me started on my lifelong path of exploring the 3 corners of the video game universe (arcade, PC, home/handheld console) with her 2600 and by taking me to arcades in my baby/toddler/little kid years. She eventually grabbed an NES as her 2nd (and last) home console, which she eventually gave to me (although she continued to game on SNES, GBC, DS and 3DS, though she doesn't play much these days cuz arthritis and all that). I always meant to grab another 2600 (a 6-switch version like my mom had). I have a friend who has a 6-switch 2600 and a huge library of games, and I've spent a lot of time with it. Aside from that, the only other console I still want to get is a PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 with CD add-on (so it makes the most sense to get a Turbo Duo which has the CD drive built in). But yeah, Atari 2600 is effectively where I got my start with video games, and it always bothered me that I don't still have one around.

Become a Patron!
Back