Atari Pivots from Free-to-Play Mobile Games to Premium Titles for Consoles and PC

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
atari-vcs-console-controller-joystick-1024x576.jpg
Image: Atari

Atari’s gaming division has hatched a plan to focus on higher-quality experiences after spending most of its time producing free-to-play games for mobile devices. The iconic brand confirmed the pivot in a press release published yesterday, which confirmed Atari’s intention to develop premium games for consoles and the PC platform. Atari’s first premium titles are already in development and slated for release in the financial year 2021/22. In the meantime, Atari is discontinuing or selling five of its free-to-play games: RollerCoaster Tycoon Story, Crystal Castles, Castles & Catapults, Ninja Golf, and Atari Combat: Tank Fury.

“Our intent with any gaming experience is to provide accessible and joyful moments of meaningful play. That’s the core of Atari and what binds our history with our future. To that end, we feel that premium gaming is...

Continue reading...

Does this mean people wouldn't buy crap for their free games so they go back to wanting money up front? Or am I misreading this.

Does this mean people wouldn't buy crap for their free games so they go back to wanting money up front? Or am I misreading this.
After reading the full article at Eurogamer I still feel a little confused about that as well. They don't seem to take a complete stance on getting rid of the mobile, free to play, models but say that 'successful' games will continue. There's a user in the comment thread that's posted a fairly accurate account of Atari's history and I recommend giving it a read. Those of us who've lived it, know it, but still a good read. I just don't know about this new Atari. I want to believe the best but stuff like this makes me nervous. However, at one point Atari games produced/licensed some awesome games from the arcade to PC/console so it's possible this new company might be able to pull off something great. We'll just have to wait and see.

Become a Patron!
Back