Batmen Return: Ben Affleck to Join Michael Keaton in The Flash

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ben-affleck-batman-unmasked-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

Ben Affleck previously said that he was done with Batman, but apparently, he’s a terrible liar. Vanity Fair has learned that the actor is returning to play the Dark Knight in Warner Bros.’s upcoming Flash film, which will involve a multiverse of Batmen. That would include Michael Keaton’s, who we last saw in 1992’s Batman Returns.

Ben Affleck’s involvement makes a lot of sense, since his Batman is the one who originally drafted the DCEU’s Flash. His physicality and performance in Snyder’s films were also well received by fans. “His Batman has a dichotomy that is very strong, which is his masculinity—because of the way he looks, and the imposing figure that he has, and his jawline —but he’s also very vulnerable,” director Andy Muschietti said...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm ... .interesting .. like "Into the Spider-verse" 'ish

You don't think studios are copying eachothers thematic elements? Dear lord man that never happens the market would never support such a thing!

Oh wait no they do that crap all the time. Never mind. ;)

Sounds like an interesting idea - however didn't the CW already do a Flashpoint-esque plotline that had TV's the Flash meet up with characters from other DC cinematic universes? (Brandon Routh's Superman, Smallville's Superman, etc).

If anything, I hope it convinces Affleck to do another Batman focused movie. Really enjoyed his version of Batman (even if I didn't like the movies he was in).

With that said, I'm looking forward to the Pattinson's 'Zero Year'-style Batman film. Really like the New 52-styled costume and after seeing Pattinson in some of his recent work, I'm fully on board for him to portray Batman.

Sounds like an interesting idea - however didn't the CW already do a Flashpoint-esque plotline that had TV's the Flash meet up with characters from other DC cinematic universes? (Brandon Routh's Superman, Smallville's Superman, etc).

Yep. It was part of their annual Crisis on Infinite Earths story. This year it was really awesome since they had Kevin Conroy play a grissled old version of Wayne in an alternate universe. edit: Oh, and another really awesome tribute to the comics with John Wesley Shipp doing one final reprisal.

If anything, I hope it convinces Affleck to do another Batman focused movie. Really enjoyed his version of Batman (even if I didn't like the movies he was in).
We might be the only two people out there who would want that.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the Pattinson's 'Zero Year'-style Batman film. Really like the New 52-styled costume and after seeing Pattinson in some of his recent work, I'm fully on board for him to portray Batman.

I wasn't at first but then around 2-3 months ago I saw a bunch of updated production shots. That and an updated cast list. Looks like it could end up being really good.

Last edited:
You don't think studios are copying eachothers thematic elements? Dear lord man that never happens the market would never support such a thing!

Oh wait no they do that crap all the time. Never mind. ;)
Nope. There's tons of stories in the DCU with The Flash traversing alternate universes. Been happening for decades.

Yes they did. But that was more in line with the usual Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline rather than Flashpoint, which is what this appears to be based on. That said, the original story involved Thomas Wayne being Batman. How they are going to do this is a mystery. I'm not sure how they'll make it work. Altering it too much could be problematic.

Nope. There's tons of stories in the DCU with The Flash traversing alternate universes. Been happening for decades.

Indeed they have. In fairness, such stories represent the better story arcs for the character.

except DC was doing it in comics long before Sony got it to the big screen.

Indeed. DC was on the multi-verse kick before Marvel if I remember right.

Become a Patron!
Back