Bernie Stolar Dies: Former Sega of America President and SCEA Founder Was 75

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Bernard "Bernie" Stolar has passed away at the age of 75, according to coverage by GamesBeat that can confirm the loss of the video game legend.

Go to post

Well he was the driving force behind the Dreamcast, so thanks for that at least. We had 2-3 glorious years of Dreamcast before Sega threw in the towel. I was so mad when that happened, I rage sold mine to a coworker. Wish I hadn't done that.

Bernard "Bernie" Stolar has passed away at the age of 75, according to coverage by GamesBeat that can confirm the loss of the video game legend.

Go to post
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG
Hits me right in the feels like a tackle from Terrible Terry Tate. Man I remember when Sega HQ was so pissed at him for including the Dreamcast's 56K modem for free. Anyways, I f*cking loved the Dreamcast. I still own 2 out of the 4 Dreamcasts I've had. I have my launch-day unit and a black Sega Sports unit. I won a used test Dreamcast at my last job (we did QA software/game testing) in a company raffle and gave it to another co-worker. And then there's the brand-new one I bought from ThinkGeek.com in the late 2000s that I gave to my brother who lives on the other side of the continent. My launch day Dreamcast is still hooked up to my HDTV via VGA.

Thanks for everything Bernie. Definitely a game industry legend. Probably the best president Sega of America ever had. He really knew how to stand up to his superiors in Japan, and do what was best for the system and the gamer. Cost him a lot to do it. I appreciate the effort and sacrifice. Wow, I wasn't expecting to see this kind of news today.

Become a Patron!
Back