Bethesda Is Still “Sorting Stuff Out” for Starfield Showcase

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Starfield critics continue to push the idea that the sci-fi RPG from Bethesda Game Studios is going to be hit with another delay, and the latest statements from the developer do not appear to be helping. Over on the official Discord, VaultOfDaedalus, a community member whose roles include the Constellation team, revealed that Bethesda is still "sorting stuff out" for its Starfield showcase, an anticipated event that was initially teased last month as part of the announcements for Developer_Direct but still lacks any sort of premiere date. Some fans say that this is a worrying amount of quiet for a triple-A game that is supposed to be out in the first half of 2023. (The most recent Constellation video, which can be seen below, is dated December 15, 2022.)

See full article...

Meh it'll come out when it does. If it needs polished it needs polished. At least they are not taking in hundreds of millions and not releasing any actual product.

Did we ever have a game that was delayed and then came out polished in the end?
Hmm... Delayed and polished on the initial release? No, I can't think of a single one. Delayed, still trashy on release, and eventually polished by multiple iterative patches? Yeah, plenty of those.

Did we ever have a game that was delayed and then came out polished in the end?
Consider how bad some games are on release even after delays. Then consider how much more terrible the games would have been if they hadn't been delayed in the first place. There's little reason to worry about delays when they happen and in most cases the delays are a good thing. The released product may not be the best but it could have always been worse. Thus, the reason I don't care about most delays nor do I ever bother to look up release dates on games. Games come out when they come out and I have plenty to do other than waiting on a release date for a game. When a game is released is when I'll start considering the game.

My point is that a delay is not a good sign as many started praising delays nowadays.
I take it as a sign of mismanagement or worse.

You won't get a polished game because of delays in most cases, you still get a buggy mess, only later than they promised.

My point is that a delay is not a good sign as many started praising delays nowadays.
I take it as a sign of mismanagement or worse.

You won't get a polished game because of delays in most cases, you still get a buggy mess, only later than they promised.
And I'm of the opinion that management is the reason for most of the issues in the first place. Sure, it's by mis-management but that's self explanatory. Management knows nothing and is primarily there to protect their own jobs. In protecting their jobs they over-promise in features and release dates leading to delays in order to have a game which might function on release.

Game development is primarily driven by money and has been this way for a long time. Hard deadlines set by people who don't have a clue what the work entails will almost always lead to a buggy mess. It doesn't help that games are much more complicated (in general) than they used to be but that's far from the primary reason of issues.

I guess there is one reason above all that is the cause for delays. The idiots who announce release dates for games before the game is even remotely finished. That they continue to do this when it continually backfires on them is the definition of insanity.

Nowadays release dates are announced for investors not the audience, to get them onboard easier with earlier returns.

We are in a situation where the developer works to please the publisher, the publisher works to please the investor, and the distributor works to please the publisher also. Nobody cares about the audience. You are just expected to consume the product and get excited for the next product.

Become a Patron!
Back