BIOSTAR B550MH Motherboard Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner1.png

Introduction

Welcome to a new entrant in our motherboard reviews, BIOSTAR.  Today we have the brand new micro-ATX BIOSTAR B550MH Version 6.0 Motherboard (AB55AM4S-R01 VER:6.0) for review.  The BIOSTAR B550MH motherboard is only $96.99 on Amazon, so this is a very budget-oriented motherboard running the AMD B550 chipset that was just released this summer in 2020.  If you want an under $100 B550 chipset based motherboard, then read...

Continue reading...

Actually the numbers you put up compare pretty closely to the Asus Taichi B550.

Fairly impressive for a sub $100 board.

Only big draw back that I seen was the 8 phase VRM power design.

Also an amazing feature; both PS2 plugs! Wow, most all boards from the last decade has gone with 1 or none at all. That surprised me a lot.

Great review as always Brent!

Actually the numbers you put up compare pretty closely to the Asus Taichi B550.

Fairly impressive for a sub $100 board.

Only big draw back that I seen was the 8 phase VRM power design.

Also an amazing feature; both PS2 plugs! Wow, most all boards from the last decade has gone with 1 or none at all. That surprised me a lot.

Great review as always Brent!

The numbers will be pretty close to another B550 for the simple fact that the motherboard has almost nothing to do with system performance. Everything that impacts performance directly was moved onto the CPU over a decade ago. As for an 8-phase power design, that's not really a limitation. There are plenty of motherboards out there using a 4 phase design. This too is fine, so long as the phases are built right. It's never been about the quantity, but rather the quality of those phases.

The reason for the PS/2 plugs is due to the fact that these less expensive motherboards are primarily marketed towards emerging markets like China, where adoption of newer connections is much slower than it is here. Legacy PCI slots, D-Sub/VGA connectors, and PS/2 ports are more common outside of North America.

That explains a lot @Dan_D .

Hadn't really thought about the fact that other countries are behind where we are in the US and UK.

It's never been about the quantity, but rather the quality of those phases.

Yeppers, I can relate to that fact for sure. Early "gamer" type boards from over a decade ago had issues on several boards from sub-par phases and capacitors.

Become a Patron!
Back