BIOSTAR Racing Z690 GTA Motherboard Review

These days, your major brands are usually solid.
I've gone with Asus exclusively now and they have been solid for me. I didn't think I would have seen the day that I would use them again, but here I am. Shows that even though every manufacturer goes through a rough patch they can redeem themselves at some point.

I've gone with Asus exclusively now and they have been solid for me. I didn't think I would have seen the day that I would use them again, but here I am. Shows that even though every manufacturer goes through a rough patch they can redeem themselves at some point.
I've literally seen good and bad boards from virtually every major brand that's ever released motherboards into the U.S. market. I've seen good boards from ECS, bad boards from ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, ASRock, EVGA, you name it. Some do have better track records than others to be sure but unless you are buying the cheapest options they make, you will usually be fine with offerings from the major players.

That board was well after GIGABYTE's quality improved. It was really during the S478 and early Athlon 64 days that I saw tons of bad GIGABYTE boards in the shop. By the time I became a reviewer, those issues largely didn't occur anymore. What I typically noticed was an issue was predominantly problems with firmware. GIGABYTE would for many years have issues with keyboards or peripherals I never saw with other brands.

These days, your major brands are usually solid. Although, garbage models get through from time to time.
I started using Gigabyte motherboards during the socket 775 era. A p965 chipset board for my first C2D and dropped in a Q6600 later. That board was still working great when I finally retired it about two years ago. The only complaint I ever had with it was the Q6600 wouldn't hit 3.6Ghz but that could have been because of the CPU rather than the board and I was never bored enough to take one of my other Q6600s which would do 3.6 and drop it in there. My second was a P35 chipset and I absolutely loved that board and it never gave me any problems until at one point the CPU power connector melted. I had just finished tearing the system apart, cleaning it and putting it back together so I figure some foreign object debris got into the socket or I screwed something up. That was a terrible day. I also had an AMD A64 Gigabyte board. It was mini ATX and had onboard video (I don't remember what socket but I had a later 4000+ dual core in it) and was reviewed on [H]. It was an impulse purchase and it did a great job for what it was (slower than Core2 but out at the same time.) Overclocked the CPU from 2.1 to 2.8 with a tiny bump in voltage and 2.9 with a lot of extra voltage. That board and CPU was retired quite a few years later and still worked fine. During the same time period I used Gigabyte boards in most of the systems I built for others; the same boards I was using but ones without the extra SATA controllers and no one had any issues with them.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi and a 5800x and have no issues with the board. I was hesitant in this purchase because of the cold boot issues people had been having with some of the x570 Aorus motherboards but it seems the issue was fixed by the time I purchased. My love of Gigabyte boards was the primary reason I took the gamble along with the lack of options in a similar price range which were available at the time I purchased. I had been looking at the MSI x570 Tomahawk but it wasn't in stock anywhere at the time. Truthfully, I'm glad I didn't get the Tomahawk. It's what my son has in his system and I absolutely hate having to do anything in the BIOS on that board. It has to have one of the worst BIOS setups I have ever dealt with. It's a confusing, jumbled mess and difficult to track down where I need to go to make any changes. I have no trouble with the Asus and Gigabyte BIOS layouts but that MSI layout is terrible.

Well, I decided to bring my UD3 X79 back out of retirement anyway. After putting the 3700X rig back together the cave had parts strewn about it from all my leftovers and on the desk was that motherboard/CPU looking at me and saying "I'm not dead yet". I first got it in the summer of 2013 so it's been in use one way or another steadily for about 10 years now. Definitely long in the tooth for many newer RT games (basically anything made for/with DLSS3) but still a champ for a lot of other games.

Become a Patron!
Back