BIOSTAR Unveils AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT and Radeon RX 7900 XTX Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
BIOSTAR has announced its first AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series graphics cards in the form of the Radeon RX 7900 XT and Radeon RX 7900 XTX, two branded models featuring specifications based on AMD's reference design, including a boost frequency of up to 2.5 GHz for the flagship RDNA 3 option.

See full article...

Just what @Zarathustra was waiting for. Time to ditch the 6900 XT!

I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on an "also ran" GPU.

I've had my eyes on 4090's, but the cheapest ones I've found are selling for $500 above MSRP which is bullshit.

Also, have you guys seen what EKWB is charging for some of their water blocks these days? :oops:

Seemingly everyone wants in on the overcharging nonsense.

The full cover waterblock for my Pascal Titan X cost me $119 if I recall. $420 is just stupid. You'd have to be smoking some quality 420 to think that is worth it. That said, back then you had to buy the backplate separately. At least now it is included, but still, that doesn't come close to making up for the price difference.

Now I haven't read up on EK's fullcover GPU block product offerings since ~2016, so I don't know what the difference is between the $420 version and the $280 version is, other than disco lighting but both are seriously overpriced. Yes, there has been some inflation. No there has not been over 100% inflation.

Also at $270 we have the "pro" version, which looks more reasonable to me, but has a very weird inlet/outlet location at the end of the card. Still, crazy overpriced, but at least it looks less stupid (apart from the inlet/outlet location)

Hopefully Watercool Heatkiller V blocks will be more reasonable, but we don't know yet. They have announced them, but there are no pictures or pricing yet. The oinly doewnside is that Watercool usually has fewer varieties. As of right now they have announced a Founders edition version and an Asus Strix/Tuf version. With how hard it is to get a hold of any of these GPU's at all, looking for a specific version that matches the available water blocks seems kind of impossible.

This **** is just ridiculous.

I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on an "also ran" GPU.
I was just joking around because the brand is Biostar. I'm sure you have no plans to spend any amount of cash on a Biostar product.

I've had my eyes on 4090's, but the cheapest ones I've found are selling for $500 above MSRP which is bullshit.
Good gawd.

Is... is that a fake website? That's just a joke right?

The full cover waterblock for my Pascal Titan X cost me $119 if I recall. $420 is just stupid. You'd have to be smoking some quality 420 to think that is worth it.
Yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...

This **** is just ridiculous.
I mean there's no better way to say it.

I was just joking around because the brand is Biostar. I'm sure you have no plans to spend any amount of cash on a Biostar product.

Good gawd.

Yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...

Lol. I didn't even notice the Biostar brand. I didn't realize they made GPU's!

Last edited:
Full coverage water blocks aren’t exactly cheap, but I wouldn’t pay more for an EK Block then an optimus block.

Anyone put in an inquiry for the XTX? I wonder if they would care about selling 10 to a group of us. hummm

Lol. I didn't even notice the Boostar brand. I didn't realize they made GPU's!
Me neither, but they seem to keep moving on to producing different hardware lately, so who knows what is in store for them down the line.

I personally do not equate Biostar with quality.... anything. I guess that was the joke all along.

Good gawd.

Yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...

Nope. That's no joke. That's what some of the EK blocks cost now.

I personally do not equate Biostar with quality.... anything. I guess that was the joke all along.
I've reviewed a few Biostar boards over the years. I've had better luck with Biostar than ASRock.

I've reviewed a few Biostar boards over the years. I've had better luck with Biostar than ASRock.
That isn’t saying much. I know some people that swear by Asrock but I wouldn’t ever touch them.

I've had multiple Asrock boards, never had an issue with any of them. Still running one of their Z87 boards that's almost 10 years old. And a TaiChi X370 that's in my wife's PC's.

That isn’t saying much. I know some people that swear by Asrock but I wouldn’t ever touch them.
The Biostar boards I've reviewed have actually been decent boards. As a brand, their offerings wouldn't be my first choice but they were all genuinely decent and far better products than I expected them to be.

The Biostar boards I've reviewed have actually been decent boards. As a brand, their offerings wouldn't be my first choice but they were all genuinely decent and far better products than I expected them to be.
I agree with this. I'm no fan of @ss-Rock. I did have ONE Biostar motherboard that was awesome, using an nForce 2 chipset, which I ran my Athlon XP "Barton" 3200+ on (that was my very last single-core system, and my very last 32-bit system). In general I agree that Biostar isn't great, but to me they are better than @ss-Rock.

Same here.

I see 4 cards, assuming 2 7900XT and 2 7900XTX.

One is a 3 slot card, 3 dp2.1 and one HDMI 2.1. How many pcie connections? OC?

I wonder if they actually have a custom design on the 3 slot or is that just a cooler? Since Biostar is Taiwan, wonder if their cards are built there, hint, no sanctions if the case.

I agree with this. I'm no fan of @ss-Rock. I did have ONE Biostar motherboard that was awesome, using an nForce 2 chipset, which I ran my Athlon XP "Barton" 3200+ on (that was my very last single-core system, and my very last 32-bit system). In general I agree that Biostar isn't great, but to me they are better than @ss-Rock.

Same here.

I think I've been on the record before with my dislike of Biostar, but to be fair to them, the board I had issues with was a Haswll era MicroATX board, and was one of the cheapest haswell motherboards I could find at the time (~2014-2015 some time?). If memory serves it only cost like $39.

It was this one:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813138407?item=N82E16813138407

You get what you pay for I guess.

I think I've been on the record before with my dislike of Biostar, but to be fair to them, the board I had issues with was a Haswll era MicroATX board, and was one of the cheapest haswell motherboards I could find at the time (~2014-2015 some time?). If memory serves it only cost like $39.
It's one thing to be inexpensive. It's another thing to cut so many corners that you make something that is unreliable or doesn't work properly. I often think a lot of the Chinese knockoff brands and other "budget" manufacturers often stray very far into the latter category just so they can show up on top when you sort a list by inverse price.

Back in or around 2006/2007 I bought my first BIOSTAR motherboard with an AMD 3600+ Brisbane CPU. I think I got the board and CPU for $100, new. Was able to overclock that setup higher then the top end Brisbane CPU that generation. Pretty sure my entire build was less than just the top-end CPU (board, ram, cpu) Can't remember exactly what the numbers were, but I think the stock clock was around 1.9Ghz and I got it to around or just above 3.0Ghz. Was a fun little CPU and the BIOSTAR board was decently good being able to handle that overclock.

Not sure I've ever owned one since though.

Become a Patron!
Back