Blizzard Responds to Blitzchung Controversy: “China Had No Influence on Our Decision”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
President of Blizzard Entertainment J. Allen Brack has published a response to the ongoing debacle surrounding his company's decision to suspend Hong Kong-based Hearthstone player Ng "blitzchung" Wai Chung, who voiced support for his countrymen's protests against China during a post-game interview. Brack maintains the suspension was based purely on violation of tournament rules, and that Blizzard's relationship with China had nothing to do with it.

He did admit that Blizzard could have "done better" and "reacted too quickly" in regards to blitzchung's year-long suspension and termination of prize winnings, however. The publisher has opted to reverse the latter and reduce his suspension to six months.

Moving forward, we will continue to apply tournament rules to ensure our official broadcasts remain focused on the game and are not a platform for divisive social or political views. One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games.

I don't blame Blizzard for not wanting to get into politics. However, there initial reaction was over the top.

This seems more reasonable.

Everyone is getting upset about this, but if this guy had said this outside of a tournament (I.e. twitter or on his own stream) nothing would have happened. I also think if someone had supported someone controversial like let’s say Putin and would have been banned, nobody would give a ****. This was a lose-lose situation for blizzard, but I also think most people who are “outraged” right now will continue buying their games.

The explanation from Blizzard's reduction of the penalty is two-faced. Per IGN, the translation (IGN did not do the translation) of the Blizzard-CH office posting on Weibo is in stark contrast to Blizzard-US Friday's post. From the CH post, they clearly referenced the condemnation of the personal political views while the US post tried to convince us:
Blizzard said:
"The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made"

So don't try to convince me that Blizzard isn't grovelling to China.

For that matter, where is Kaepernick with his feelings about oppression and human civil rights by officials when it happens abroad? Oh yeah, Nike's factories...

For that matter, where is Kaepernick with his feelings about oppression and human civil rights by officials when it happens abroad? Oh yeah, Nike's factories...
Nah, doesn't involve Nike, China doesn't have Black people.

Become a Patron!
Back