Bloober Team Updates Ray Tracing PC System Requirements for Dual-Reality Horror Game, The Medium

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-medium-marianne-white-haired-1024x577.jpg
Image: Bloober Team

Bloober Team has released an updated PC system requirements chart for its upcoming psychological horror game, The Medium. Those of you wish to play the game at its maximum fidelity with the highest levels of ray tracing enabled at 4K will require an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card. An Intel Core i7-9700 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X processor is recommended on the CPU side, while 16 GB of memory and an SSD (with 50 GB of free space) are also listed for the definitive experience.

Note that Bloober Team’s The Medium, which happens to feature a soundtrack by legendary Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka, will be available to play on...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. So the highest requirement for amd is the 6800xt.. fits. And I don't do 4k just 1440p... if only I enjoyed horror games.

Glad they updated it. Considering the screenshots plus what I've read about it the old specs seemed woefully inaduquate for 4K, especially if one is going to use ray tracing. Not sure if I'll get this day one since I've still got a lot other games I'm trying to finish right now but it is on my radar.

Let's hope they do more updates. It's not looking to good at the moment performance-wise, even without ray tracing.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/the-medium-cannot-run-with-constant-60fps-on-the-rtx3080-even-at-1080p-high-rt-off-settings/

Let's hope they do more updates. It's not looking to good at the moment performance-wise, even without ray tracing.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...e-rtx3080-even-at-1080p-high-rt-off-settings/

It doesn't look like it should run that bad, but it may not be as simple as optimization. People throw that word around without understanding that its often a matter of design choices the developers made which can hit performance so negatively. Draw distances, texture sizes, and specific effects such as particle effects could very easily negatively impact performance and once those decisions are made, optimization won't fix that. How the game uses the CPU, etc. can also be a major factor in how it performs.

For example: The developers often take shortcuts to make a game run faster such as using 2D objects at distance or even close up if its the kind of thing that will go unnoticed. This is common with foliage and things like fences.

It doesn't look like it should run that bad, but it may not be as simple as optimization. People throw that word around without understanding that its often a matter of design choices the developers made which can hit performance so negatively. Draw distances, texture sizes, and specific effects such as particle effects could very easily negatively impact performance and once those decisions are made, optimization won't fix that. How the game uses the CPU, etc. can also be a major factor in how it performs.

For example: The developers often take shortcuts to make a game run faster such as using 2D objects at distance or even close up if its the kind of thing that will go unnoticed. This is common with foliage and things like fences.
I think in the case of this game it has to do with the concurrent dual world rendering, which is why they were targeting 30 FPS.

I still have high hopes for this one. It's still on my list that I may pick up.

I wonder if that's why Kingdom Come: Deliverance was so brutal even when you lowered various settings. Even at 1440p. I spent more time tinkering with that game with a 2080 Ti, and never finished. At some point I may go back to it. Just never seemed like the visual IQ justified how much it was needing.

Just finished a play through of Metro Exodus in 4K on the 3090 and LG C9 w/ RT on/DLSS HDR on. That was a lot of fun and beautiful to see. About 3/4 of the way for doing the same for SOTR. I'm also about 3/4 of the way of doing another play through of Witcher 3 on the CRG9 with the 3090. It's amazing to see in 32:9. After that I might tinker more with Control but really want to fully dig into Cyberpunk. After all those, then The Medium.

I think in the case of this game it has to do with the concurrent dual world rendering, which is why they were targeting 30 FPS.

Depending on how that's done on the backend, that could very well be the cause of the game's relatively poor performance. In fact, it seems extremely likely that this is the case.

Just finished a play through of Metro Exodus in 4K on the 3090 and LG C9 w/ RT on/DLSS HDR on. That was a lot of fun and beautiful to see. About 3/4 of the way for doing the same for SOTR. I'm also about 3/4 of the way of doing another play through of Witcher 3 on the CRG9 with the 3090. It's amazing to see in 32:9. After that I might tinker more with Control but really want to fully dig into Cyberpunk. After all those, then The Medium.

Nice.

If you havent, give Death Stranding a shot. Terrific in 4K. Really.

Nice.

If you havent, give Death Stranding a shot. Terrific in 4K. Really.
Actually forgot about that one. I got it at release and also mean to go back to it. Overall, a good year for gaming.

Become a Patron!
Back