British Retailer Lists Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
samsung-980-pro-pcie-4.0-nvme-ssd-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

British retailer SCAN has listed Samsung’s 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD. The price and date of availability have been removed from the store page, but a Chiphell user reports that it had been listed for £443.99 (roughly $597 USD). We previously reported on the 980 Pro being released, but at that time, the 2 TB variant was not a part of the launch. To date, only 250 GB, 500 GB, and 1 TB sizes have been available. The 2 TB version could launch at a lower price in the U.S., as the 1 TB version retails for...

Continue reading...

If that drops around 350 that would be an attractive offering.

Too expensive for a TLC drive.
I wonder if this is 'the end' for two-bits-per-cell NAND for the consumer market. Samsung was one of the holdouts with their 'Pro' line, and if you were going to be abusing your NVMe, that's generally what you wanted from what I've seen and read.

I've personally watched SSDs tank to sub-spinner speeds under large, continuous writes myself, so I get the need and the concern; PCIe 4.0 just makes that worse assuming that you can feed the data!

There is nvme for consumer space. Then there is high-speed nvme for enterprise. Then there is high durability nvme for enterprise. The consumer space desktop or laptop pc is rarely doing sustained large file copies. Moving data between disks and such. Normally it's a write once read many many many times. Nvme is fine for that.

There is nvme for consumer space. Then there is high-speed nvme for enterprise. Then there is high durability nvme for enterprise. The consumer space desktop or laptop pc is rarely doing sustained large file copies. Moving data between disks and such. Normally it's a write once read many many many times. Nvme is fine for that.
Sure; have a laptop with a 2TB Intel 660p, which is their first QLC foray. I used it because it was cheap for 2TB, but also and rather importantly because it's a 2TB single-sided drive. Laptop is that thin.

I noticed two things: if you try to dump tens of gigabytes from a fast source on it at once, it'll slow down to about 60MB/s, which is pretty appalling, but it will just keep on trucking, and in actual usage, it's no different than your average 3GB/s bidirectional TLC drive.

I used another 660p in my desktop for games, and again, no issues.

I still don't like Samsung's Pro line moving to TLC. Save that for the Evo series.

Sure; have a laptop with a 2TB Intel 660p, which is their first QLC foray. I used it because it was cheap for 2TB, but also and rather importantly because it's a 2TB single-sided drive. Laptop is that thin.

I noticed two things: if you try to dump tens of gigabytes from a fast source on it at once, it'll slow down to about 60MB/s, which is pretty appalling, but it will just keep on trucking, and in actual usage, it's no different than your average 3GB/s bidirectional TLC drive.

I used another 660p in my desktop for games, and again, no issues.
Yep, once that buffer fills it's a whole different story.

I wonder if this is 'the end' for two-bits-per-cell NAND for the consumer market. Samsung was one of the holdouts with their 'Pro' line, and if you were going to be abusing your NVMe, that's generally what you wanted from what I've seen and read.

I've personally watched SSDs tank to sub-spinner speeds under large, continuous writes myself, so I get the need and the concern; PCIe 4.0 just makes that worse assuming that you can feed the data!
One of the reasons for that is SSD usually use a SLC cache. The size of the cache typically depends on the price of the drive, not necessarily the capacity. This give the drives those very fast burst speeds on initial file operation, but once it fills up it can slow to a crawl on some of the cheaper drives using more bits per cell like the Intel 660p. As you say, though, in most cases it's fine for consumer use. I do enjoy seeing my 970 Pro get maxed out at over 3GB/s when Steam is decrypting files, though.

Yep, once that buffer fills it's a whole different story.
The important thing to me, at least, is that the 660p kept on going. I have some ancient Crucial TLC? SATA SSDs that I tried to use as a write cache for my NAS, and they straight up just stopped writing.

I believe most SSDs behave better these days.

Become a Patron!
Back