Bungie Terminating Halo Website and Stats Archive Next Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
halo-combat-evolved-screenshot-silent-cartographer-marine-rush-1024x576.jpg
Image: 343 Industries

As part of a blog post related to Destiny 2 rewards, Bungie revealed that it will finally pull the plug on its legacy halo.bungie.net website next month. This is where all of the stats and files for Halo games were archived back in the day before the company parted ways with Microsoft and handed the keys over to current overseer, 343 Industries. Bungie notes that its news articles, forums, and groups have since been migrated to the new Bungie.net website, but older Halo players who wish to keep their memories from over a decade ago will want to go in and save what they can before February 9.

“Almost nine years ago, stats and files from our previous franchise, Halo, stopped getting updated on Bungie.net,” the company...

Continue reading...

Not much of value for me over there. I barely played any Halo game online, since I was stuck with a controller, on consoles. Plus there was the cost of an Xbox Live Gold subscription. There was ONE Slayer match in Halo Reach where I got 17 kills and somehow came out on top, winning the match. Aside from that though, there's no significant history, or really any history to begin with, of my online exploits recorded on that site. Besides the original Halo 1 PC port, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer, online multiplayer has never really been an option for me until Halo MCC on PC. Even then, I barely play any video game online. I'm mostly a single-player guy. Most of my PC multiplayer experience comes from LANParties. I'm surprised Bungie kept the site up for so long.

I'm honestly surprised they are taking it down, or making an announcement of such.

One one hand - maybe it's getting no traffic, and so there's no reason to keep the server plugged in. But then why announce it and remind everyone that is exists?

On the other hand - it's not like a lot of people are out there racking up new stats on the original Xboxes, and it could just be sitting on their otherwise always-on website anyway, so it doesn't exactly have any cost associated with up time...

Just curious as to why this necessitates a mention from Bungie, who had long since moved on from Halo anyway.

On a side note, I still remember fondly when Steve Jobs introduced Halo to the world as a Mac Exclusive...

I'm surprised Bungie kept it going all this time. They could have taken it down years ago and I doubt many people would have noticed.

Become a Patron!
Back