Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s 4K/RTX Preset Requires 250 GB of HDD Space

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Activision

Here we go again. Activision has released the PC specifications for Treyarch’s latest Call of Duty title, Black Ops Cold War, and what immediately stood out to us was the HDD requirement.

As indicated by the first set of bullet points below, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War players who wish to enjoy the game at its highest fidelity will require 250 GB of HD space. Clearly, the controversy behind Modern Warfare’s similarly enormous SSD demands didn’t phase Activision one bit.

The trailers for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War have proven that it’s a beautiful game, though, so the higher space requirement –...

Continue reading...

The issue is that Warzone is being directly integrated into Cold War, just like they did to Modern Warfare. If it were not for that the game would be half the size.

2TB doesn't even seem enough anymore if you have a large game library.

Makes the new console SSD seem... inadequate. But then again, I think it felt that way before this too...

Makes the new console SSD seem... inadequate. But then again, I think it felt that way before this too...
Saw a metric somewhere that the average number of games a console gamer owns is between 3 and 8 total over the lifetime of a console. That seems like a crazy low number, but I am an outlier who owns thousands of games across all platforms and generations. If you split that and say the average console gamer owns 5 games, then given the average size of games being released today you could fit every game you'll ever own on that console on a 1TB drive.

We all talk like this is something outside of the call of duty franchise. That engine is a bulky piece of garbage for how it handles assets and its inability to compress or decompress on the fly.

We all talk like this is something outside of the call of duty franchise. That engine is a bulky piece of garbage for how it handles assets and its inability to compress or decompress on the fly.
True. Supposedly they have created multiple new engines, but I would not be surprised at all to find id Tech 3 code still in the engine.

Someone needs to see how many GB or TB you'll need to hold all the PC games of the 90s on one HDD. Then do the same for all the 00s, then the '10s.

I think, with the 20s not even a full year in we've already surpassed the total storage of all the games of the 90s and we're probably approaching on all the storage needed for all games of the 00's also.

I don't mind the storage so much. Storage capability / price has probably improved faster than game requirements to use it have.

What I do mind is that you can't just go to the store and pick up a copy of your game and go plunk it into your computer any more. It takes days (for me, at least, and many others) to get digitally - ISPs just haven't kept up, we've dropped physical distribution for the most part (sure it sorta still exists, but it still uses optical medium dated from 1997, or best case '06).. and Day 0 patches have nullified even if you do pick up physical media - your still back at the mercy of your ISP.

Someone needs to see how many GB or TB you'll need to hold all the PC games of the 90s on one HDD. Then do the same for all the 00s, then the '10s.

I think, with the 20s not even a full year in we've already surpassed the total storage of all the games of the 90s and we're probably approaching on all the storage needed for all games of the 00's also.

Honestly 1 or 2 current games should eclipse the entirety of the 90's. Games were measured in MEGABYTES and 100 Megabytes was HUGE at the end of the 90's.

Honestly 1 or 2 current games should eclipse the entirety of the 90's. Games were measured in MEGABYTES and 100 Megabytes was HUGE at the end of the 90's.

Yeah I know they weren't all that big until CDs came around. We could even include console games, not just PC games as those games were even smaller than PC games were.

What was it... Flacon 3.0 was HUGE and on 22 1.44mb floppy disks!

Yeah I know they weren't all that big until CDs came around. We could even include console games, not just PC games as those games were even smaller than PC games were.
Even then, games would still fit on a single CD. Half-Life was originally about 400MB in 1998. Unreal Tournament in 1999 was around 300MB. I think the first multidisc game I owned was Knights of the Old Republic from 2003.

What was it... Flacon 3.0 was HUGE and on 22 1.44mb floppy disks!

Yeah, but that was in 1991. By the late 90s games were released across multiple CDs at times. I think 3 CD-ROMs were needed for Final Fantasy VII. Now the game itself was on all three discs at the time, because the FMV cut scenes took up most of the storage space, but that's still 650MB per disc.

Yeah, but that was in 1991. By the late 90s games were released across multiple CDs at times. I think 3 CD-ROMs were needed for Final Fantasy VII. Now the game itself was on all three discs at the time, because the FMV cut scenes took up most of the storage space, but that's still 650MB per disc.

I would say that was an outlier. A few games were multi disk for content. The rest just played fmv scenes from disk.

But I will agree in the last year we had probably a dozen games that were over one gig in full release size.

Oh and I looked.at that ffxiv disk. If thst works on a ps4 great.. for a pc I can add a nvme drive for about that price with 2x the capacity. Sadly I have more nvme slots available than usb!!

I would say that was an outlier. A few games were multi disk for content. The rest just played fmv scenes from disk.

But I will agree in the last year we had probably a dozen games that were over one gig in full release size.

Oh and I looked.at that ffxiv disk. If thst works on a ps4 great.. for a pc I can add a nvme drive for about that price with 2x the capacity. Sadly I have more nvme slots available than usb!!

Outliner? Nah, there is a lot of games for the PS1 that required more than one disc. It was the main reason why almost none of those games were on the Nintendo 64 at the time because they couldn't fit everything on a cartridge.

Here is a list: https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_PlayStation_video_games_with_multiple_discs

I also mentioned in the original post that most of the content was indeed from cut scenes/FMV but that was still part of the game. That's 1000s of hours worth of entertainment back then. 1000s of hours.

Even with that in mind. I'm pretty sure we could still fit every single game developed/released in the 90s on a single 1TB hard drive.

2020, on the other hand, you'll have a full 1TB drive filled with as little as what? 5 games now? Could you spend 1000s of hours on those 5 games now? Maybe, but only because of the online multiplayer something most of the games from the 90s lack.

Become a Patron!
Back