Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Developer Apologizes for Ridiculous 94 GB Season 2 Update

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
call-of-duty-modern-warfare-season-2-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Infinity Ward/Activision

Activision may want to think about bundling hard drives with future Call of Duty titles, as the franchise’s patches are ballooning to absurd levels.

Infinity Ward released its Season 2 update patch this week, and players quickly noted its ridiculous size: the PC version weighs roughly 94 GB, while the PS4 and Xbox One patches measure around 51 GB and 68 GB, respectively. That’s bad news for impatient gamers, but it’s especially tiresome for those who are facing bandwidth caps.

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-season-two-roadmap-1024x576.jpg
Image: Infinity...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a stupidly large download. Sadly the biggest impact is to the least infrastructure served markets.. Meaning rural regions of the world.

Colleges and ISP's need to get with these gaming companies (Much like netflix has) and offer a service to host patches and updates at distributed servers on their networks. This will let them serve their customer base without saturating the internet pipe for everyone trying to get the update at the same **** time.

I think there's more to this update than the dev is willing to say. Probably the BR. The season 2 trailer vid clearly shows a BR style game, with ring of gas, squads, vehicles and artillery.

I think there's more to this update than the dev is willing to say. Probably the BR. The season 2 trailer vid clearly shows a BR style game, with ring of gas, squads, vehicles and artillery.

The actual install is smaller, they repackaged some stuff to save space. Ironically, that's what made the patch so big.

Meh. I don't play Call of Modern Battlefield, but it's just a 14 minute download. Nothing to fret about. Just have a little patience.

Meh. I don't play Call of Modern Battlefield, but it's just a 14 minute download. Nothing to fret about. Just have a little patience.

It’s a 3+ day download in my neck of the woods.

I just hate having to wait for the shaders to load up after the update.

Oh does it compile shaders locally? I've seen that in a couple games.

Become a Patron!
Back