Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Requires 175 GB of Hard Drive Space on PC

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Activision's Call of Duty reboot is a huge game, not only figuratively, but literally. Modern Warfare's minimum system requirements, which have gone live on Battle.net, has its storage demands pegged at 175 GB.

This is even bigger than Red Dead Redemption 2 and Final Fantasy XV, which take up 150 GB and 148 GB, respectively. An NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 or AMD Radeon R9 390 / AMD Radeon RX 580 GPU is recommended for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Does Modern Warfare hold the world record for the biggest storage space requirement for a video game at launch? We think so. In 2018 we covered Final Fantasy 15 on PC, which was 148GB. The Rockstar launcher currently states Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC requires 150GB of HDD space. Modern Warfare tops both.

These install sizes sure are making those sub 100 dollar nvme drives at Microcenter more attractive.

I really thought when I read this the first time on reddit, that it was a joke. Ridiculous.

Higher resolution textures, video cut scenes, etc. all take up far more space than you might think.My Mass Effect 3 install folder has climbed to 204GB with all the mods I've got installed. Of course, that's also because the game is now uncompresssed and decrypted to make it possible to modify files. I'm not sure what the game's content is, but games over 100GB is going to get normal pretty quickly.

I can't imagine it's textures. The beta didn't look all that pretty. There are a lot of maps though.

And without actually saying it DrDisrespect is hinting at the possibility of custom servers with mods. He did a live stream where he was working on a map. Maybe it was just something to do, but he did work for Activision as a COD map designer.

There should be an option for MP files only. That would cut it down. I vote for that

There should be an option for MP files only. That would cut it down. I vote for that

Call of Duty has had that in the past so there is no reason why they couldn't continue to do that. However, I've disliked the multiplayer for a long time and preferred the single player games in the last several. I haven't liked the multiplayer since Call of Duty: Black Ops. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the pinnacle of the series' multiplayer experience as far as I'm concerned. Everything that's come out since has been hugely disappointing to me.

Call of Duty has had that in the past so there is no reason why they couldn't continue to do that. However, I've disliked the multiplayer for a long time and preferred the single player games in the last several. I haven't liked the multiplayer since Call of Duty: Black Ops. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the pinnacle of the series' multiplayer experience as far as I'm concerned. Everything that's come out since has been hugely disappointing to me.
Could not agree more. MW4 Was the t1ts before Battlefield 3 came out.

While I liked the first Modern Warfare games (I like Cpt Price & Soap, & the nuke going off was very disturbing, but that's my prior service part of me speaking about a very real fear in the 60's/70's), I don't like MP, so if they don't parse out the MP files from the SP files, not sure I'd purchase.

While I liked the first Modern Warfare games (I like Cpt Price & Soap, & the nuke going off was very disturbing, but that's my prior service part of me speaking about a very real fear in the 60's/70's), I don't like MP, so if they don't parse out the MP files from the SP files, not sure I'd purchase.

I agree with most of what you said, but not separating the MP from the SP files is a deal breaker? Why? Drive space is cheap. Even 1TB NVMe SSD's from Microcenter are around $89 to $109 for one that competes with Samsung's 970 EVO NVMe drives performance wise. I've got a 1.2TB Intel SSD 750 that I use for games. I do occasionally have to uninstall a game once in a blue moon, but unless you feel you have to have every game in your library installed, that part of your statement makes zero sense to me.

There are plenty of reasons not to buy that game, but that really isn't one of them.

DIdn't say it was a deal-breaker, just that it lowers the probability to buy. And I've got plenty of space (I think) on my 1.0 tb nvme drive I use for games. I'll wait for reviews to see if the play is skewed to MP or SP, if the play is 50/50 MP/SP, I'll most likely wait for Black Friday or a sale that has 50% off.

DIdn't say it was a deal-breaker, just that it lowers the probability to buy. And I've got plenty of space (I think) on my 1.0 tb nvme drive I use for games. I'll wait for reviews to see if the play is skewed to MP or SP, if the play is 50/50 MP/SP, I'll most likely wait for Black Friday or a sale that has 50% off.

All of the games since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare have been skewed towards multiplayer. It was a four hour campaign. They've all been relatively short. The only one that was longer I can recall was Infinite Warfare.

That would explain why I haven't played COD since the second Modern Warfare (with the bad guy overwatch). I knew there was a reason, but I forgot.

Even Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 1 & 2 were skewed towards multiplayer. Their campaigns were only four hours long.

Become a Patron!
Back