Capcom Planning Revival of "Dormant" Franchises

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Dino Crisis and/or Darkstalkers fans may finally get the sequel(s) they've been longing for. Following the success of Resident Evil 2, Capcom has agreed to revisit classic franchises that have been collecting dust over the past decade. Per its 2019 financial report, the publisher plans to "revive dormant intellectual properties" and is "actively looking to utilize dormant IP."

As we’ve seen with Project Resistance, Capcom is still willing to take its iconic series in new directions in an apparent chase of other popular genres, and while that may present some concerns about the eventual form of these new revivals, take heart. Capcom knows what its best recent games have been.

My first thought was, what games did Capcom release again?

The answer: LOTS

Here's rooting for Mega Man, Gun Smoke, Bionic Commando and Ghost's and Goblins :p I loved those back on my NES :p

I could see a Dino Crisis remake being successful, but I can't see a new Darkstalkers game happening. Street Fighter V had a rough time initially at release, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite flopped for a number of reasons, but if they put in the same effort as with RE2 then that would be awesome. At the very least I would love to see remasters of all the PowerStone, Rival Schools, and even more niche titles like Tech Romancer. Oh yeah and Steel Battalion redone for VR.

Last edited:
My first thought was, what games did Capcom release again?

The answer: LOTS

Here's rooting for Mega Man, Gun Smoke, Bionic Commando and Ghost's and Goblins :p I loved those back on my NES :p
Man, Capcom had a lot of great Disney games back in those days.

I have yet to play Mega Man 11, but I'm really iffy on the series since original creator K. Inafune is gone. Most of the time when I play Mega Man games these days, I focus on 3, 4 and 6. Sometimes 7. MM9 turned out ****ing great, and MM10 was okay. From the X series I only really liked Mega Man X 1 and 2, but good gawd to this day I still play those games A LOT. The series has been so used and abused that I actually do NOT want them to make any more X games. Just ****ing let it rest in peace.

I certainly wouldn't want another Bionic Commando like the one that came out in 2009. I don't know how Bionic Commando Rearmed and Rearmed 2 turned out cuz I didn't play them, but they seemed to be more in the style of the original games.

Didn't Ghost N Goblins already get a remake in 2006? Or was that just a new game and not a remake? A new entry could be interesting. Just, you know, balance the games better Capcom. I'm not saying pussy-out and make the games super-****ing-easy, but dear gawd the traditional difficulty of this series is just too ****ing brutal and frustrating. I know there's a good middle ground in there somewhere.

Gun.Smoke is one of the many games I threw onto NES Classics for various friends and family, was having a blast with it last year. Been a long time since I last played it before that. Would be interesting to see a modern interpretation. I also mess with the arcade version via emulation.

mega man Legends 3, please.
I remember that big-*** giant effort to make Mega Man Legends 3, and how that whole situation turned out in the end. Wish they hadn't given up on it.

Gimme a new darkstalkers game !!
...I can't see a new Darkstalkers game happening
Which is very unfortunate. I didn't grab the re-release of the arcade versions on PS3/X360, but to this day I still enjoy Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampires (which I think is the 3rd Darkstalkers game) on Sega Saturn. Didn't touch MvC Infinite and I didn't care for MvC3/UMvC3. I prefer MvC2 but honestly my favorite games in the Capcom-Marvel VS series are X-Men vs Street Fighter and especially Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (games I still play a lot on Saturn). I was hoping when Street Fighter was revived with SF4 that we would be getting a high-res pure 2D one with exquisite animation, but that didn't happen sadly. SF4 was okay but I never really got into it. SF5 I've barely touched. Anyways it would be awesome if we could get another Darkstalkers game, a new game, and with beautiful high-res pure 2D art.

Dino Crisis seems like it could be a good choice for a revival.

1942 got a new game in 2008 (Joint Strike) and I enjoyed it enough.

The AvP beat-em-up released only in arcades (CPS2) was ****ing awesome, and I wouldn't mind a sequel or a home release. MAME is the main way I play it these days. Bring a laptop to a friend's house, hook up to HDTV, bust out 3 controllers, and away we go. I've been trying to convince my friend to grab the real version for his CPS2.

The Armored Warriors/Cyberbots universe could also be an interesting one to revisit. I picked up the Saturn version of Cyberbots a couple years ago or so. Arcade version is better but Saturn version ain't bad at all.

I don't know much about the Breath of Fire series, but I wonder if this counts as another long-dormant franchise that Capcom could revive.

Really enjoyed Capcom's two D&D beat-em-ups (which were released as a collection called Chronicles of Mystara in 2013), a new entry in that franchise would be cool if done well. My friend actually owns Tower of Doom for CPS2, and I been telling him he needs to get his hands on Shadow Over Mystara.

Isn't it about time we got a sequel to the 3rd Gargoyle's Quest game, Demon's Crest? Still a great ****ing game. One that was requested often when I was modding SNES Classics for friends/family. My brother recently played through the Japanese version (Demon's Blazon) on the actual hardware.

Wasn't there an Onimusha remaster recently? I know fans have been calling for a new Onimusha game for quite some time. I myself have never played any of them.

I would not mind seeing a new, properly-done Final Fight game. My experience was really only with the first game (the arcade version), which had a sort-of-remaster not too long ago (Final Fight Double Impact, which also included the arcade game Magic Sword). Last year I spent some time with Final Fight 2 and 3, and I enjoyed those games as well.

At the very least I would love to see remasters of all the PowerStone, Rival Schools, and even more niche titles like Tech Romancer.
Gonna have to agree with all of those. I still **** with Tech Romancer on Dreamcast from time to time. My buddy actually picked up the arcade board for Rival Schools not too long ago. He also got the sequel Project Justice, but it didn't work so he had to return it to the seller, who I think will be attempting repairs on it. Not sure what was wrong with it. Loved the **** outta Power Stone 1 and especially 2 on Dreamcast. I even grabbed the 2-game collection on PSP. When friends come over for some local multiplayer action, Power Stone 2 is one of the games that always gets busted out. Too bad there weren't enough levels in that game.

Steel Battalion seems like it would work out well as a VR game.

I used to play my friend's copy of Star Gladiator on PS1 back in the day. One day I would like to check out the sequel Plasma Sword. Another dormant franchise to potentially be revisited, although I don't think anyone is really calling for a revival of this IP.

I enjoyed original arcade Strider, the Genesis version, and especially Strider 2 on PS1. However the 2014 Strider, which was a Metroidvania game (a genre I usually really like), left a lot to be desired.

Wouldn't mind another Viewtiful Joe or Okami, but only if Hideki Kamiya and his crew are behind it. He didn't exactly leave on good terms with Capcom though.

Anyways I could go on and on and on, but yeah Capcom does have a wealth of IPs they should be falling back on. Many of these haven't had new games in a very long time. They're not the only company we can say this about either. I'm looking at you Konami. Konami are a bunch of dicks though, and they are no longer interested in making real video games. Just mobile crap and pachislot "games."

Man, Capcom had a lot of great Disney games back in those days.

I have yet to play Mega Man 11, but I'm really iffy on the series since original creator K. Inafune is gone. Most of the time when I play Mega Man games these days, I focus on 3, 4 and 6. Sometimes 7. MM9 turned out ****ing great, and MM10 was okay. From the X series I only really liked Mega Man X 1 and 2, but good gawd to this day I still play those games A LOT. The series has been so used and abused that I actually do NOT want them to make any more X games. Just ****ing let it rest in peace.

I certainly wouldn't want another Bionic Commando like the one that came out in 2009. I don't know how Bionic Commando Rearmed and Rearmed 2 turned out cuz I didn't play them, but they seemed to be more in the style of the original games.

Didn't Ghost N Goblins already get a remake in 2006? Or was that just a new game and not a remake? A new entry could be interesting. Just, you know, balance the games better Capcom. I'm not saying pussy-out and make the games super-****ing-easy, but dear gawd the traditional difficulty of this series is just too ****ing brutal and frustrating. I know there's a good middle ground in there somewhere.

Gun.Smoke is one of the many games I threw onto NES Classics for various friends and family, was having a blast with it last year. Been a long time since I last played it before that. Would be interesting to see a modern interpretation. I also mess with the arcade version via emulation.

I remember that big-*** giant effort to make Mega Man Legends 3, and how that whole situation turned out in the end. Wish they hadn't given up on it.

Which is very unfortunate. I didn't grab the re-release of the arcade versions on PS3/X360, but to this day I still enjoy Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampires (which I think is the 3rd Darkstalkers game) on Sega Saturn. Didn't touch MvC Infinite and I didn't care for MvC3/UMvC3. I prefer MvC2 but honestly my favorite games in the Capcom-Marvel VS series are X-Men vs Street Fighter and especially Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (games I still play a lot on Saturn). I was hoping when Street Fighter was revived with SF4 that we would be getting a high-res pure 2D one with exquisite animation, but that didn't happen sadly. SF4 was okay but I never really got into it. SF5 I've barely touched. Anyways it would be awesome if we could get another Darkstalkers game, a new game, and with beautiful high-res pure 2D art.

Dino Crisis seems like it could be a good choice for a revival.

1942 got a new game in 2008 (Joint Strike) and I enjoyed it enough.

The AvP beat-em-up released only in arcades (CPS2) was ****ing awesome, and I wouldn't mind a sequel or a home release. MAME is the main way I play it these days. Bring a laptop to a friend's house, hook up to HDTV, bust out 3 controllers, and away we go. I've been trying to convince my friend to grab the real version for his CPS2.

The Armored Warriors/Cyberbots universe could also be an interesting one to revisit. I picked up the Saturn version of Cyberbots a couple years ago or so. Arcade version is better but Saturn version ain't bad at all.

I don't know much about the Breath of Fire series, but I wonder if this counts as another long-dormant franchise that Capcom could revive.

Really enjoyed Capcom's two D&D beat-em-ups (which were released as a collection called Chronicles of Mystara in 2013), a new entry in that franchise would be cool if done well. My friend actually owns Tower of Doom for CPS2, and I been telling him he needs to get his hands on Shadow Over Mystara.

Isn't it about time we got a sequel to the 3rd Gargoyle's Quest game, Demon's Crest? Still a great ****ing game. One that was requested often when I was modding SNES Classics for friends/family. My brother recently played through the Japanese version (Demon's Blazon) on the actual hardware.

Wasn't there an Onimusha remaster recently? I know fans have been calling for a new Onimusha game for quite some time. I myself have never played any of them.

I would not mind seeing a new, properly-done Final Fight game. My experience was really only with the first game (the arcade version), which had a sort-of-remaster not too long ago (Final Fight Double Impact, which also included the arcade game Magic Sword). Last year I spent some time with Final Fight 2 and 3, and I enjoyed those games as well.

Gonna have to agree with all of those. I still **** with Tech Romancer on Dreamcast from time to time. My buddy actually picked up the arcade board for Rival Schools not too long ago. He also got the sequel Project Justice, but it didn't work so he had to return it to the seller, who I think will be attempting repairs on it. Not sure what was wrong with it. Loved the **** outta Power Stone 1 and especially 2 on Dreamcast. I even grabbed the 2-game collection on PSP. When friends come over for some local multiplayer action, Power Stone 2 is one of the games that always gets busted out. Too bad there weren't enough levels in that game.

Steel Battalion seems like it would work out well as a VR game.

I used to play my friend's copy of Star Gladiator on PS1 back in the day. One day I would like to check out the sequel Plasma Sword. Another dormant franchise to potentially be revisited, although I don't think anyone is really calling for a revival of this IP.

I enjoyed original arcade Strider, the Genesis version, and especially Strider 2 on PS1. However the 2014 Strider, which was a Metroidvania game (a genre I usually really like), left a lot to be desired.

Wouldn't mind another Viewtiful Joe or Okami, but only if Hideki Kamiya and his crew are behind it. He didn't exactly leave on good terms with Capcom though.

Anyways I could go on and on and on, but yeah Capcom does have a wealth of IPs they should be falling back on. Many of these haven't had new games in a very long time. They're not the only company we can say this about either. I'm looking at you Konami. Konami are a bunch of dicks though, and they are no longer interested in making real video games. Just mobile crap and pachislot "games."

I haven't played any of those games since the NES. I didn't even realize the Mega Man franchise had continued after the NES. :p

I'm into this entirely for childhood nostalgia purposes. I went straight from my NES to PC in 1991 and never owned another console. I haven't played any platformer since the NES.

(Actually, come to think of it, I lied, I DID okay Commander Keen when I first got my PC)

Last edited:

I would not mind an awesomely animated 2D fighter game one bit. Fighting games on current gen consoles are imo a pain to play due to the silly loading times compared to the lenght of the actual matches.

I didn't even realize the Mega Man franchise had continued after the NES. :p
Since you played Mega Man games on the NES, you might like Mega Man 9 and 10. They were done in the style of the NES games. If I recall correctly, the devs made a custom NES emulator (natively coded for Wii and ported to X360 & PS3) which they used to develop Mega Man 9. I think I remember them saying that with some small modifications, the game would run on actual NES hardware, but don't quote me on that. I think 9 turned out better than 10, but it's fun too. Since the games came out on 7th-gen consoles, the only way to really play them on PC (and also on 8th-gen consoles) is through the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Since you're better off playing all the NES/SNES/32-bit Mega Man games in those collections via freely-available emulators, I would only recommend the Legacy Collections at a deep sale price. To my knowledge, there are no standalone versions of Mega Man 9 and 10 that you can play on PC (unless maybe by possibly using the GCN/Wii emulator Dolphin, or the PS3 emulator RPCS3).

Become a Patron!
Back