Catalina Continues down a Bumpy but Shared Road

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Catalina-1024x576.jpg

It hasn’t been the smoothest roll out for either new OS’s or OS updates in the last 30 days. Neither MS or Apple could boast bragging rights for their latest efforts. Apparently macOS 10.15, or Catalina as it’s more commonly known, has been traveling down a bumpy road since it’s recent release. The similarity between these two companies grows as both have tried to address security issues while in the process breaking things along the way. One macOS user has even joking called it “macOS 10.15 Vista

Originally one of the highlights was the removal iTunes and addition of its replacement Apple Music. Along the way there were problems with the removal XML file support that broke a number of DJ apps. Other issues involved Adobe apps as 32 bit support was also removed and a number of users, with paid licences, could no longer use their software. Even PhotoShop wasn’t immune to these growing pains.

The Register has reached out to Apple regarding these, and other, issues. Unsurprisingly there was no comment. An interesting thing they reported on is that some Mac users are also advising waiting on installing this, or other, OS and updates. This has also become a practice for advanced Windows users in recent years due to a number of unexpected surprises after an update has rolled out and been installed.

Quinn Nelson
@SnazzyQ

macOS Catalina is a trash fire right now. I’m not updating a single machine yet. Definitely not production ones (never do this), but I’m not even gonna do my laptops yet.
12:12 PM - Oct 9, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
168 people are talking about this

Regardless of the side of the tracks your on with these ecosystems it should be noted that sometimes these issues are just blips on the radar for a small percentage of users. Sometimes they will affect a larger group but in either case if your one of the ones affected and cannot use your device as intended, or needed, it can be a big deal or impact your work flow. Had good or bad experiences with Catalina recently, let us know in the forum.

We just bought a new iMac to replace the wife's early 2009, which was having issues. If it shows up with Catalina I'll have to downgrade it to Mojave because the 2 main things she uses both have 32-bit components. (Adobe and RootsMagic)

I blame the app developers, not Apple. It's been how long, 18 months? 2 years? more? since the announcement that 32 bits were going away and the popups started. There was plenty of time, but too many developers thought they had more important things to do. Now they are in a panic, whining and trying to pretend they couldn't do anything because they didn't have the release version of Catalina to test with. If I had the Codeweavers and Adobe program management and developer staff in front of me right now, I'd slap the sh!@ out of every one of them.

We just bought a new iMac to replace the wife's early 2009, which was having issues. If it shows up with Catalina I'll have to downgrade it to Mojave because the 2 main things she uses both have 32-bit components. (Adobe and RootsMagic)

I blame the app developers, not Apple. It's been how long, 18 months? 2 years? more? since the announcement that 32 bits were going away and the popups started. There was plenty of time, but too many developers thought they had more important things to do. Now they are in a panic, whining and trying to pretend they couldn't do anything because they didn't have the release version of Catalina to test with. If I had the Codeweavers and Adobe program management and developer staff in front of me right now, I'd slap the sh!@ out of every one of them.
..on the other side of the fence, wasn't that basically Vista's "problems" .. ? Companies not offering stable drivers and what not for their components to run in Vista properly so Vista gets blamed for instability issues, etc... ?

..on the other side of the fence, wasn't that basically Vista's "problems" .. ? Companies not offering stable drivers and what not for their components to run in Vista properly so Vista gets blamed for instability issues, etc... ?
Yes it was.

I have a hard time believing macOS is as bad as Vista was. Vista was a dumpster fire of an os.

Yes, in part, but if I'm remembering right, Vista was also the first release of the Aero desktop, which was considerably different from the Win 7 desktop without being noticeably better. I also recall Vista being slower than Win 7, at least interactively; although I could be wrong, I never used either one all that much.

Become a Patron!
Back