CD PROJEKT RED to Release Major Patch for Cyberpunk 2077 on Dec. 21, as Studio Founders Lose $1 Billion over Buggy Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-bonfire-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

Vice has shared a memo from Gamestop that confirms Cyberpunk 2077 will be receiving a patch on Monday to address some of the sci-fi RPG’s more serious issues. The punctuality isn’t all that surprising, as CD PROJEKT RED is currently under heavy fire for releasing the game on consoles despite knowing exactly how buggy the PS4 and Xbox One versions are.

“CDP will issue a patch on 12/21 that should be a major fix to address customers’ concerns about Cyberpunk 2077,” the memo reads.

“If customers are still unhappy and want to return their product, they should be directed to send an email to: helpmerefund@cdprojektred.com for reimbursement directions and refunds issued directly from CDP. The complete CDP message to Cyberpunk...

Continue reading...

Uhhh... I have zero hate for CDPR. Then again I never even THOUGHT about playing this game on a console. PLUS they do so much other positive stuff for the PC gaming community. Folks like the ones that were quoted for this article can eat a bag of D's.

WTH? I just read a different article the other day that said they had already made a zillion dollars and paid for all of the dev and advertising, with bonuses for everyone...

BOS Bank SA Tomasz Rodak said in an email, “In only a couple of days, CD Projekt fell from the most adored studio to the most hated one. Restoring trust is not impossible, but would need much time and effort.”

Adoration based on hot air, and hatred based on hot air.
What's next, more hot air? Something of substance, perhaps?

I don't believe this report.

No one will officially know the real numbers CP2077 sold until this same time next month.

I call it fuzz news just for the sake for AD clicks since the huge gpu failure launche news are boring and super repetitive now.

So, lets just calibrate here a little.

Just about every title launches with terrible bugs on day one these days. This is nothing new.

This is why I don't usually even buy new games until at least 6 months after launch.

Is CyberPunk 2077 really that much worse than other titles, or is it just that because it was such an anticipated title, many people people are playing it on day 1 than most other titles?

I'm all for more accountability in launching games that work well on day one, but I'm opposed to criticizing CD Project Red for something that every other developer does.

Just about every title launches with terrible bugs on day one these days. This is nothing new.

This is why I don't usually even buy new games until at least 6 months after launch.

Is CyberPunk 2077 really that much worse than other titles, or is it just that because it was such an anticipated title, many people people are playing it on day 1 than most other titles?

I'm all for more accountability in launching games that work well on day one, but I'm opposed to criticizing CD Project Red for something that every other developer does.
Did you watch the DF videos above? The game is frequently running in the 10 FPS range on the Gen 8 consoles, and there are instances when the renderer just stalls. An instance of the latter is captured and shared in the Xbox One video where it stalled for more than a minute. Aside from the gameplay issues and bugs the game is at least running fine for the majority of people on PC. Frankly I believe people give CDPR too much credit with their games. Much like Bethesda most of their releases have been extremely buggy on day 1. Unlike Bethesda, though, they at least actually fix the majority of issues over time themselves rather than leaving it to modders.

Did you watch the DF videos above? The game is frequently running in the 10 FPS range on the Gen 8 consoles, and there are instances when the renderer just stalls. An instance of the latter is captured and shared in the Xbox One video where it stalled for more than a minute. Aside from the gameplay issues and bugs the game is at least running fine for the majority of people on PC. Frankly I believe people give CDPR too much credit with their games. Much like Bethesda most of their releases have been extremely buggy on day 1. Unlike Bethesda, though, they at least actually fix the majority of issues over time themselves rather than leaving it to modders.

FB_IMG_1608340085894.jpg

Uhhh... I have zero hate for CDPR. Then again I never even THOUGHT about playing this game on a console. PLUS they do so much other positive stuff for the PC gaming community. Folks like the ones that were quoted for this article can eat a bag of D's.

The game certainly has quality issues, but it's not the disaster on PC's that it is on consoles. Some of the issues do have workarounds. Most of the problems I saw were primarily graphical glitches.

My thoughts exactly. Ubisoft, EA and Bethesda games launch in as bad or worse states and people seem to be forgetting that. CDPR is getting so much flak because they've been held to a much higher standard. A standard they set for themselves. However, people need to calm the **** down. If you buy a Ubisoft title by preorder or day one, you've seen far worse quality than what we have with Cyberpunk.

Is nintendo pretty much the only one that ships completed games?
Its less about this game company and more about the sad state of affairs when it comes to games being released in beta form.
What does it take to be better? More grunt work? AI and grunt work? These things must have solutions, and I am sure, all in all are probably not that costly.
Humans as a group tend to make things more complicated than what they are, higher paid office types doubly so.
Buggy games should get their review scores crushed more than what they are, as a matter of routine and no bug games should get their scores upped a bit... Some kind of incentive structure must emerge and some point.. there is some, but not enough obviously.

The game is a lot more stable for me (crashes to desktop and kills the GPU driver less often) if I run the exe directly, rather than launching through Steam. The game appears to be a DRM-free release even on Steam, cuz I can run the game without Steam running. If I launch the game outside of Steam, Steam won't recognize that the game is running, so play-time isn't logged, and I don't get Achievements (not that I give a sh1t about achievements). Steam screenshots don't work even if run the game through Steam, so I can't blame it on running the game outside of Steam. When the 1.05 patch rolls in, I'll give launching through Steam another try. But yeah, so far I've been able to play mostly reliably just running the exe directly. Not sure why this makes a difference, but there it is. The only real issue I have with the game (aside from performance being below what I expected for 1080 Ti/2070 Super/5700 XT) are the crashes. Most of the bugs/glitches are a non-issue. They may be hilarious or entertaining, but they don't really f*ck with me when I am playing the game. Based on CDPR's track record, I'm not concerned about post-launch support. I know CDPR will get it done, and improve the f*ck outta the game over time.

They had like what, 8 million preorders? It was a ridiculous amount. I can't believe that many people preordered a game, even a CDPR one. I think they also broke Steam records for most concurrent players. But yeah I think the massive amount of people playing on or near day 1 made the issue a bigger deal than what it really is. As has been mentioned, the game is mostly fine on PC. On console that sh1t is real f*cked up though. And yeah, people tend to hold CDPR to a higher standard based on their past work, and the standards CDPR set for themselves. Witcher 3 was in a far better state at launch, but I do realize that out the gate CP2077 is a much bigger, more complicated game loaded with way the f*ck more content than Witcher 3 and its two expansions combined. Still, the day one experience with Witcher 3 was much better than with this game. That said, as mentioned before, people who play Bethesda games or Ubisoft games are used to games being in faaaar worse condition at launch (and well after) than CP2077 was.

I still feel that they should have launched on PC first, then ported to 9th-gen consoles only at a later time. They should never have bothered putting the game on last-gen consoles. Also I think they should not have committed to a launch date, and should have just released the game when it was actually f*cking done.

Yeah I wasn't planning on touching the game for months at least. I usually take months to a couple years to get around to games. I'm not just waiting for patches and bug fixes, but I also wait for good sales. We live in an age where games are discounted by at least 50% just a few months after launch, and within a year or two you'll find games for $5-$10 (unless they are Nintendo games). Only reason I had CP2077 at launch is cuz a client bought it for me earlier this year as an unexpected bonus on top of payment. So I figured I might as well check it out at launch. Indeed, it was a very good example of why one should avoid playing games at launch. I also never preorder games. I don't care who made the game, I can't put money towards a game until I've gotten a chance to play the game, or at the very least got to check out a ton of reviews and hear from people who do own the game.

...I'm opposed to criticizing CD Project Red for something that every other developer does.
Well ALL these developers should be getting reamed for releasing games in a terrible state. I guess most of us who have been gaming for decades just end up shrugging our shoulders and saying "that's the way the world is today." We know to just wait for updates/patches and cheaper prices. When you've been around, you know better. We've spent years complaining about unfinished games being released, microtransactions, and paid DLC, but clearly none of that sh1t is going away. I'm old and tired. Complaining doesn't do anything. I just accept the way things are, and continue to live my life. I vote with my wallet, not that my single vote counts for anything. Now if you could convince people to stop preordering games en masse, and stop buying broken-@ss games on day one, then maybe we'd get somewhere.

Honestly I didn't care about pre ordering much. I did because it's CDPR and I knew I wanted to play the game and would enjoy it. But I have played an hour and a half. Have only done the first "rescue" mission and that's it. Now I am finishing out odyssey and will go to either the new assassins creed or to cp2077. Not sure which.

I'd recommend going to Cyberpunk. I'd have to imagine Assassin's Creed is worse. Ubisoft is one of the leading developers of buggy trash on launch.

Is nintendo pretty much the only one that ships completed games?
Its less about this game company and more about the sad state of affairs when it comes to games being released in beta form.
What does it take to be better? More grunt work? AI and grunt work? These things must have solutions, and I am sure, all in all are probably not that costly.
Humans as a group tend to make things more complicated than what they are, higher paid office types doubly so.
Buggy games should get their review scores crushed more than what they are, as a matter of routine and no bug games should get their scores upped a bit... Some kind of incentive structure must emerge and some point.. there is some, but not enough obviously.
To be fair, Nintendo creates much simpler games. What Nintendo has an advantage in is understanding interactive gameplay theory and fully utilizing it without getting caught up in trying to make everything look "ultra cinematic" as the meme-able "AAAA" productions from other companies do. So many games today are being released that look pretty, but at the expense of everything else that is supposed to make a video game a video game.

Well, as good as Nintendo is at core gameplay - it’s also very hard.
Once you hit that genre defining title, that’s it. Everything else becomes derivative and repetitive. There’s only one Tetris, only one Metroid, only one Mario Kart.... and a whole lot of run of the mill sequels, wannabes, and not quites.

If you can’t keep innovating, you get stuck and it turns into the Better Graphics slug fest that we see the AAAs doing.

It takes a unique work culture to foster innovation; a willingness to risk failure. Most AAA studios want sure fire profit, so they wait for the small guys to take all the risk, buy out the ones that work, slap on some better graphics for 2.0 and milk it until it dies from the entropy of what being part of a Publicly Traded company that exists for shareholder profit brings.

Become a Patron!
Back