CDPR Explains Why It Scrapped Cyberpunk 2077’s Multiplayer Mode

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to feature a multiplayer mode, but that will never materialize, according to new insight shared by senior quest designer and coordinator Philipp Weber, who was interviewed by a member of Eurogamer last week and suggested that the loss could largely be blamed on the RPG's rocky and controversial 2020 launch.

See full article...

I recall CDPR surveying players on their forums and almost no one was interested in a multiplayer game. Most of the responses were to the effect of: "Stick to making great single player games." To be honest, it would be a huge investment on their part and the market for multiplayer games is saturated. Sure, something could end up being a breakout hit but I don't think a multiplayer game from CDPR would be all that successful. It's something CDPR has literally never done. Plus, multiplayer games require constant maintenance and support. While CDPR has come a long way with Cyberpunk 2077 since it's launch, their fixes have had huge gaps in between them and the game is still no where near what was promised.

It's a big risk and CDPR doesn't have a great track record right now. I think people would rather them expand on Cyberpunk 2077 and make it the game it always should have been or to work on a sequel using the UE5 engine. I'd like to see more than the single expansion we are getting for Cyberpunk 2077, but I also really want to see Cyberpunk done in UE5 as well. I'm curious to see what CDPR could do without having to reinvent the wheel the entire time with physics and underlying game systems. They also can't just staff up given that they have to teach proprietary tools and code to anyone they hire.

Makes sense to me.

I've suggested from the very start that the reason for Cyberpunks problems is that they tried to do WAY too much all at once, and essentially created an impossible task for themselves.

HUGE open world environment with an engaging story is tough enough to do on its own.

Now add launching on the same day on several different platforms, PC, consoles of different generations, etc., and you've made it near impossible to pull off, even for a seasoned studio like CDPR.

Also trying to make it a massive multiplayer game at the same time would have been even more nuts.

While I am not a fan of modern multiplayer games with lootboxes, etc. etc. it is kind of a shame they created this massive world, and it won't be completely utilized to its full potential.

More expansions could be fun.

Become a Patron!
Back