Cheap 27" 1440p Monitor - $180 @ Best Buy

Not bad if you just need the panel - do note that there is no VRR and that this is a 60Hz monitor, so this is really as basic as one can get.

Color performance should be able to be wrangled though (if it's not great out of the box, it could be calibrated), and that is pretty nice at this size, resolution, and price!

Not bad if you just need the panel - do note that there is no VRR and that this is a 60Hz monitor, so this is really as basic as one can get.

Color performance should be able to be wrangled though (if it's not great out of the box, it could be calibrated), and that is pretty nice at this size, resolution, and price!
Correct... Merely posted this as it's a cheap "Content Creator" display, where you can get decent real estate on the cheap!

Even if GPUs are still insanely priced it's nice to see that display options have really started to come down in price. It was really out of hand the last couple of years but deals like this show there are some decent solutions out there for those trying to escape 1080p.

That Acer story yesterday was an eye-opener in that for just over $1K they've got a display that competes on many levels with those ROG $2000-$4000 ones. A shame that it might only be an Asia-only release(for now).

I'm honestly done with 'brands' for monitors unless it's Dell (or Alienware). Perhaps HP. And literally only for warranty.

I realize that ASUS is doing a pretty bang-up job when it comes to gaming monitors, but these companies are just building cabinets and slapping the same panels and same control logic in them with their own 'flair' to differentiate them.

And in terms of cost... well, I paid too much for my 38" Alienware, but still less than LG's version was going and hopefully without the legion of QC issues that LG had - and I don't have to depend on LG for support (if it exists). ASUS is probably better in this regard.

But overall I'm just waiting for OLED to be ready for the desktop. Apple is supposedly moving some Macbooks to OLED, and after Dell did a few XPS laptops, I'm thinking that larger panels for desktops are probably just around the corner.

Till then, we're all just making do :cool:

I am trying desperately to rid myself of the 1080 60Hz panels I have, but then I also need more GPU's to drive the pixels.

It is a vicious circle. I am thinking of a cheap LG widescreen for work stuffs. I just can't decide tho.

Become a Patron!
Back