China’s First 7 Nanometer GPU “Big Island” Nears Mass Production to Challenge AMD and NVIDIA

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
tianshu-zhixin-big-island-7-nm-gpu-3d-art-1024x576.jpg

Tianshu Zhixin has revealed that Big Island, China’s first 7-nanometer GPU, is about to enter mass production and commercial delivery. The company claims that the GPU is capable of offering nearly twice the performance of mainstream manufacturers’ products at a lower power consumption, which seems impressive since it only uses half the chip area of similar products. Big Island features a 32 GB HBM2 memory configuration and a peak FP32 rate of 37 TFLOPS...

Continue reading...

Think we're seeing China's endgame play out. Cause a GPU shortage crisis via the coronavirus, and then sell the only readily available GPU.

Game over, man, game over!

What OS will it have drivers for?
What hardware will it work with?
I cant get the thought of bugs out my head.

Intels first GPU release is limited to very specific hardware and isnt a high end part.
Not saying nobody can do better on a first release, but we need a lot more info.

Well its AI stuff, not really a gaming card I guess.
If they achieve all the allegations, they have some smart people behind it obviously.

Wait you mean China... who has been trusted with Fabbing the leading CPU's and GPU's in the world... suddenly has someone making a GPU that rivals that of the best out the gate? You don't think it's based on stolen IP do you?! Good gosh that would be such a shock!

I mean we all remember when they released a CPU that looked a lot like old threadripper tech don't we? Dyhana ring any bells? Why you might ask was it never released in the US. Trade wars.

That and I can't keep the voice out of my head saying they want our data for many various purposes. So uhhh... no thanks?

They have had an x86 license for years and they can't even make their ZX-E come close to being competitive with Intel let alone AMD.....and somehow a startup is going to double the performance in a more complicated space.

tenor.gif

I mean we all remember when they released a CPU that looked a lot like old threadripper tech don't we? Dyhana ring any bells? Why you might ask was it never released in the US. Trade wars.
IIRC, AMD did license their tech to China, so that one is on AMD.

It will be perfect for emerging nations in need of new infrastrucure.
China will supply anything, in exchange for natural resources.
Africa will become the great supplier of raw materials and foods to China, it's is well on it's way.
Anywhere were the U.S. does not have a presence, they will.

This race is on folks, and China has an easy 4 year headstart because of "America First".

Become a Patron!
Back