Chris Roberts Reminds Star Citizen Fans That Its Single-Player Mode, Squadron 42, Is Nowhere Near Complete

Speaking of failure and kickstarter... Feels like a thing of the past to me... I used to see so many articles on projects, now its nada... Weird.
Kickstarter has been bleeding money for the past few years. Another big issue is that they are now gatekeeping what projects are allowed on the platform hard. Also doesn't help that they are based in New York City right now. IndieGoGo is where it's at now.

Speaking of failure and kickstarter... Feels like a thing of the past to me... I used to see so many articles on projects, now its nada... Weird.
Well I'm sure as hell didn't back any game projects on kickstarter since star citizen. I did back a few music bands on indiegogo but that's different entirely.

It feels inevitable at this point. And sad really. There are people that drop most of their discretionary spending into backing this month after month. I feel sorry for them and truly hope I am wrong. I took my licks backing this 7 years ago. Never another dime. Ever.

I knew the $45 I spent on it back in the day was something of a risk, but $45 isn't a big deal to me. I wrote it off like I had stuck it in a stripper's G-string. Although, at least I have fond memories of stripper's G-strings. Star Citizen? Not so much.

Well I'm sure as hell didn't back any game projects on kickstarter since star citizen. I did back a few music bands on indiegogo but that's different entirely.
I backed the battletech computer game and the battletech clan invasion boxes set. Both those worked out pretty well, but then again both companies had already made things prior to the kick starter too...

I backed the battletech computer game and the battletech clan invasion boxes set. Both those worked out pretty well, but then again both companies had already made things prior to the kick starter too...

Well, to our credit, Chris Roberts had been involved in successful video games in the past. Naturally, there was at least some level of credibility with the initial Kickstarter. More than that, the original campaign didn't focus on the MMO like persistent universe. That was a stretch goal as they called it. It was originally for Squadron 42, which was basically going to be a modern Wing Commander. It seemed like a simple task even if it was going to use real space physics for the combat.

Well, to our credit, Chris Roberts had been involved in successful video games in the past. Naturally, there was at least some level of credibility with the initial Kickstarter. More than that, the original campaign didn't focus on the MMO like persistent universe. That was a stretch goal as they called it. It was originally for Squadron 42, which was basically going to be a modern Wing Commander. It seemed like a simple task even if it was going to use real space physics for the combat.
Exactly. All I've ever wanted was Squadron42, but then in 2013 they completely switched focus on the mmo, and SQ42 was never seen or heard of since, except from vague pr materials, and some cobbled together "in engine" footage.

Exactly. All I've ever wanted was Squadron42, but then in 2013 they completely switched focus on the mmo, and SQ42 was never seen or heard of since, except from vague pr materials, and some cobbled together "in engine" footage.

The rest of it sounded fine, but a bit ambitious. Of course, as time went on feature creep set in and the project as it stands would be impossible to complete without scaling it back. Naturally, they aren't going to do that because of the negative press and they've got to stretch development time in order to keep the money rolling in.

Jeezus, 340 million, yes this is spread out but wow. That on a competent person would have yield several complete projects already. Perhaps even some success ( no guarantees there though)

Meh - if those backers enjoy it, more power to them.

They aren’t getting my money for an incomplete promise though. I’d pay if they ever ship something finished

They aren't many, just persistent. Sunken cost fallacy, or cult behavior. They'd be admitting they were wrong if they stopped feeding the beast.
I don't think they could have doubled the amount raised year-over-year without capturing new suckers.

I don't think they could have doubled the amount raised year-over-year without capturing new suckers.
Hard to imagine someone who just finds out about it now, but at the same time manages to ignore all the red flags that are out in the open.

Become a Patron!
Back