Comcast Successfully Tests Prototype 10G Modem for Delivering 4+ Gbps Speeds to Home Users

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
comcast-10g-graphic-1024x576.jpg
Image: Comcast

Comcast today announced the successful test of its prototype 10G modem technology, paving the way toward a future in which home users can enjoy even more impressive broadband speeds.

Built by semiconductor giant Broadcom, the modem that Comcast tested is a Full Duplex DOCSIS 4.0 system-on-chip (SoC) cable modem that is capable of delivering upload and download speeds greater than 4 Gbps, according to a press release shared by the company. This is twice the speed of the fastest internet provider in the U.S., Google Fiber, which maxes out at 2 Gbps.

“10G technology builds on the work Comcast has done over the past several years to build a smarter, more virtualized network,” the company wrote in a blurb regarding the new global industry initiative.

“In addition to providing a path to multigigabit upload and download speeds at scale, 10G updates will deliver...

Continue reading...

I could become my own Netflix.....

Would love this, but the likelihood it's rolling straight out to consumers anytime soon.

Now available nowhere near anyone you know
I’m sure they will try to sell it to everyone, and every major speed test will show crazy nice numbers. Then when you try to do anything that isn’t a speed test; you will get crap- probably worse than what you have now. If you call to complain, they can schedule a tech to be out somewhere between 1pm and 8pm, somewhere between July and September. He will jiggle some cables at the street, run the same speed test - say it was a bad confjigger adapter and he fixed it, and it will continue to do the exact same thing.

Also your house will still be a public Xfinity hotspot for the neighborhood.

I hate marketing and branding.

"10G Technology" my ***. Stop being douchy and just call it what it is, a Docsis 4.0 compliant modem.

I’m sure they will try to sell it to everyone, and every major speed test will show crazy nice numbers. Then when you try to do anything that isn’t a speed test; you will get crap- probably worse than what you have now. If you call to complain, they can schedule a tech to be out somewhere between 1pm and 8pm, somewhere between July and September. He will jiggle some cables at the street, run the same speed test - say it was a bad confjigger adapter and he fixed it, and it will continue to do the exact same thing.

1642122662674.png

Meanwhile I'm stuck with $#itrum and 200/10 Mbps speeds for $70 a month.
Crazy, when we moved in to the new house last Sept. I got a deal from Rectrum that locked in 400/30 for $29.99 for two years.
When that quits, I'll probably jump to Google Fiber. I'm so glad to finally be in a neighborhood in KC that is in their service area.

Crazy, when we moved in to the new house last Sept. I got a deal from Rectrum that locked in 400/30 for $29.99 for two years.
When that quits, I'll probably jump to Google Fiber. I'm so glad to finally be in a neighborhood in KC that is in their service area.
Lucky dog

Lucky to have so many options. Verizon, At&t, Google Fiber, Spectrum, Comcast, Sunflower, the unsecured WiFi at a nearby church.

Comcast sent out a flyer that was for GB speed at $60 a month for life. Whose life? I dunno, but if I wasn't already getting a deal at $30 a month I may have jumped on that.
My out of town apartment in Chanute, I get 600/20 for just under $70.

My hometown of Ellinwood, you might get 100/5 for about $85 a month. It's either fiber or Hughsnet

So, can I have >35Mbps uploads please?
Verizon FiOS matches upload speed to download speed. I get 120 Mbps down, so I also get 120 Mbps up. As Borat says, "very nice!"

If you call to complain, they can schedule a tech to be out somewhere between 1pm and 8pm, somewhere between July and September.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yupz, that's how it goes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I got a deal from Rectrum
I read "rectum," and was wondering if that service was @ss.

Comcast sent out a flyer that was for GB speed at $60 a month for life. Whose life?
That is a very good question...

Spectrum for me has been decent, until it isn't. I have had them for a couple of years. My tiny apartment I had they had to come out several times to correct the intermittent outages. Last tech they sent didn't just wiggle a thingamajigger and call it good. He actually removed the "Band-Aid" and installed a clean line. From that point on it was solid.

Currently, at the house, it's been solid, with the exception of a couple of days. There was a utility company in the area and I'm sure there was probably an excavation snag.

They are consistent for the most part, don't cap, and I handle everything thru an app. So no outsourced thick accents to deal with so far. For $30 though, it's been a steal.

Spectrum has it issues of course, like most utility companies.

Spectrum for me has been decent, until it isn't. I have had them for a couple of years. My tiny apartment I had they had to come out several times to correct the intermittent outages. Last tech they sent didn't just wiggle a thingamajigger and call it good. He actually removed the "Band-Aid" and installed a clean line. From that point on it was solid.

Currently, at the house, it's been solid, with the exception of a couple of days. There was a utility company in the area and I'm sure there was probably an excavation snag.

They are consistent for the most part, don't cap, and I handle everything thru an app. So no outsourced thick accents to deal with so far. For $30 though, it's been a steal.

Spectrum has it issues of course, like most utility companies.
One thing I like about my Spectrum service is my IP address hasn't changed in 15 years. I don't know if they inadvertently provisioned me a static address, but it makes my life easy since I work from home supporting datacenters. I have IPSec tunnels going to all of our DC's. When our software VPN or AD has issues I'm still able to access everything without having to go through RMM.

Otherwise, their service has been very stable for me for a long time. Might have internet issues once a year, and only for a couple hours.

I would like more upload bandwidth though. But, that's the cost of single wire copper internet. You don't get all that download bandwidth without sacrificing upstream bandwidth.

One thing I like about my Spectrum service is my IP address hasn't changed in 15 years. I don't know if they inadvertently provisioned me a static address, but it makes my life easy since I work from home supporting datacenters. I have IPSec tunnels going to all of our DC's. When our software VPN or AD has issues I'm still able to access everything without having to go through RMM.

Otherwise, their service has been very stable for me for a long time. Might have internet issues once a year, and only for a couple hours.

I would like more upload bandwidth though. But, that's the cost of single wire copper internet. You don't get all that download bandwidth without sacrificing upstream bandwidth.

That's kind of cool. On Verizon FiOS my IP address stays static for periods of time when everything is up, and usually I am provisioned the same address external IP if I have to reboot the router, but there is no guarantee.

I've been relying on noip's dynamic DNS service for all of my hosting needs, and it has worked very well. If budget were limitless - however - I would definitely have preferred a static address.

Once we all move to IPV6 (whenever that happens) this will all be moot though. There should be no reason for them to make anyones IP addresses dynamic, unless they do so on purpose just to be dicks.

As much as the design implementation of IPV6 really annoys me, this is one positive to come out of it all.

Same. Been on their 400/20 plan for like 9 years now. Literally zero innovation from Spectrum. They just don't care.
We're stuck on an old Optimum plan that is 200/35, and paying $99 a month for it. I HATE THESE ****ING CLOWNS...

We're stuck on an old Optimum plan that is 200/35, and paying $99 a month for it. I HATE THESE ****ING CLOWNS...

As they would probably say:

Don't like it? Go to the competition. Oh right.

This is why monopolies are typically illegal. At least without significant regulation.

We really need to grow a pair and get together as a nation and slap the ISP's. HARD. Either fix this bullshit, or get regulated out of existence. No more of this cash cow nonsense is allowed. You are expected to continually improve services and reinvest into networks.

Become a Patron!
Back