Cortana High CPU Ussage

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
Ever notice recently when you are talking to your computer and things start getting real slow?

If you did you are not going crazy and also not alone. Many users are reporting this after updating Windows 10 recently with the latest patches.

Microsoft has acknowledged that the latest windows patch is taking more cpu cycles than normal and will fix it in the next set of Windows updates.

Do you use Cortana in Windows 10? Let us know.

Full Story

I'm a bad example. I turned off Cortana as soon as I had installed windows 10. I'm at my computer it's a gaming/entertainment rig. I don't do productivity and know where to find what is on my computer. And I'm sure as sh&T not going to use Cortana to search for pron.

I'm a bad example. I turned off Cortana as soon as I had installed windows 10. I'm at my computer it's a gaming/entertainment rig. I don't do productivity and know where to find what is on my computer. And I'm sure as sh&T not going to use Cortana to search for pron.

Pretty much this

Disabled on day 1 of windows install. No need for that crap.

Mine keeps reenabling itself ><

I was poking around in the registry... and boy howdy does MS not want you turning Cortana off complete. I did it a while ago and it seems to still be preserved. I was able to find a registry location where you can turn off the ability to turn Cortana back on if I was reading the registry entry correctly. Unfortunately this was on my home system after midnight last night and I didn't think to capture the location and key name. I will say the key name was pretty self evident.

If you are on windows Enterprise or Professional there are a plethora of instructions on how to turn it off using gpedit. Otherwise I wish you the luck I seem to have had in disabling and keeping it from being able to be re enabled in the registry!

Here is what I found:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

Key name
CanCortanaBeEnabled

Value is normally set to 1. In binary you just set this to zero. There are some other Cortana specific keys here as well you can simply set to zero.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back