Cortana Leaving iOS and Android: Microsoft to Discontinue App in January

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Master Chief's AI companion hasn't been very successful with the mobile phone crowd. Microsoft has announced that it will be removing the Cortana app for both iOS and Android devices on January 31 for users in the UK, Australia, Germany, Mexico, China, Spain, Canada, and India. Cortana will live on in other Microsoft products, such as Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 productivity apps.

It’s not clear how much longer the Cortana for iOS and Android app will continue to operate in the US after January 31st. A Microsoft spokesperson simply tells us that currently it’s still supported in the US. The full support note also reveals that Cortana will be disappearing from Microsoft’s Android Launcher app after January 31st in the affected markets.

Never used that feature. They can remove it from Win 10 too.

I'll stick with my Alexa wiretap though

Never used that feature. They can remove it from Win 10 too.

I'll stick with my Alexa wiretap though

I'm not touching one of those with a 12 foot pole, but at least with an Echo, deciding to get one is voluntary.

Oh come on. Please just remove it all together.

No computer needs an AI Assistant.
There's no need for one in the vast majority of cases but I wouldn't mind having a useful one although I'd have much more use for one on my phone. However, it needs to be completely self contained and fully functional on my hardware with no phoning home for anything, ever unless I allow it. It must be my assistant, not Google's assistant or Amazon's assistant or Microsoft's assistant spy.

Become a Patron!
Back