Crucial Ballistix brand going away

Hmm, well it's not like Micron is going to stop making RAM. They will either pump up some other brand name or spin it off into another company.

But yeah, sad to see it go - Crucial and Kingston have always been my gotos

It's been a long time since I've seen Crucial RAM come up in my shopping searches, typically for the fastest memory at a particular density.

IMO they haven't really been competing - I only really see G.Skill and Corsair regularly, among a few far less established brands.

I've always used Crucial or Kingston because they have lifetime warranties. I've only had to use it once - I had one stick of Kingston go bad after like 6 years -- it was absolutely no problem or hassle getting a replacement even after all that time. Can't speak for Crucial, but I've not had any go bad on that either.

RAM is usually one of those things that's either DOA out of the box or works fine for years, so maybe that warranty isn't worth that much, but it's paid off for me at least once.

One of my first builds I had the Ballistix Tracer memory in it... Eventually it went bad, likely due to the cheap BioStar motherboard it was plugged into. The RMA process was smooth, and Crucial sent back a stress "ball" shaped like a pig, and branded a "memory hog". It was a nice surprise and I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

Become a Patron!
Back