Crytek Releases Free Ray-Tracing Benchmark, "Neon Noir"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The developer behind Hunt: Showdown and Crysis has released a free benchmark for testing your GPU's ray-tracing prowess. "Neon Noir" was built on CRYENGINE 5.5 and is "both API and hardware agnostic," which means that anyone with a modern AMD or NVIDIA GPU can see how it copes with real-time ray-traced reflections and refractions. The test follows a drone as it flies through bleak city streets lit by various sorts of neon signage.

Neon Noir was developed on a bespoke version of CRYENGINE 5.5, and the experimental ray tracing feature based on CRYENGINE’s Total Illumination used to create the demo is both API and hardware agnostic, enabling ray tracing to run on most mainstream, contemporary AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. The feature will ship in CRYENGINE in 2020, optimized to take advantage of performance enhancements delivered by the latest generation of graphics cards from all manufacturers and supported APIs like Vulkan and DX12.

Hmm.. the youtube video in the link was rendered on a Vega56 (mentioned in credits at end of the video).

Not sure what the source resolution was, or exactly what the level of RT implementation was, but it didn't appear to suffer too badly for not having RTX acceleration.

But but dedicated tensor cores what's happening. You can't run real time raytracing without proprietary cores. It can't possibly be done with generic math! /s

2k Ultra 4571
1080p Ultra 7454 .. :unsure:

Last edited:
I ran this benchmark a few times (system in sig), at 1920x1200 and 3840x2400 (nVidia DSR), with ray-tracing set to Ultra. Used MSI Afterburner and Task Manager for performance monitoring. Benchmark was running from a 7200rpm HDD.

At 1200p the most vRAM I saw the benchmark use was 6120 MB. Performance was mostly 80-110fps range, with some drops to the 70s, and a couple areas where it got into the 60s. The run with the highest score was 8184.
Results:
At 2400p the most vRAM the benchmark used was 9178 MB. Performance was 18-31 fps!! It mostly stayed in the 20s. Highest-scoring run gave me a score of 2301.
Results:
System RAM usage hit almost 8500MB MB during 4K runs, somewhere above 7 GB during 1200p runs (was at about 5500 MB before running the benchmark program).

The hottest the GPU got was 67ºC (about 85% fan speed on this EVGA cooler). At both resolutions, the GPU usage was always 100% or very close to it. GPU core clock stayed between 1870 and 1900 MHz during each run of the benchmark.

I saw pretty dang good utilization out of all 6 of my Haswell-E CPU cores, including most of the extra threads from HT.

Last edited:
Neat little demo, interesting tech to see, both visually and in terms of the hits to performance. Of course I'd be more interested in seeing how retail games make use of the tech. A single loop of the demo doesn't last very long, so there's not a whole lot to see, but yeah still pretty cool stuff. Certainly not worth grabbing the launcher and making an account just to check it out. A video will do you just fine, aside from crispness you get from seeing a realtime rendered image on your display. I haven't played BF5 or seen it running with my own eyes, but I wonder how the reflections in this demo compare to that game, on some of the lower RTX settings at least.

I haven't played BF5 or seen it running with my own eyes, but I wonder how the reflections in this demo compare to that game, on some of the lower RTX settings at least.
I got that one free with my RTX 2080TI. It's not a game I'd usually play but did some testing with the single player campaign. There's one section that's set in France with you sneaking through some forests and dirt roads that has some pretty spectacular reflections in the fall/winter with mud and rain puddles. There's also some neat stuff at night in Norway in the winter.

Become a Patron!
Back