Cyberpunk 2077’s Latest Hotfix (1.21) Squashes Various Bugs, Improves Overall Game Stability, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-hotfix-1.21-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

CD PROJEKT RED has released Hotfix 1.21 for the PC, console, and Stadia versions of its controversial sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. The latest hotfix squashes nearly 30 quest-related bugs, which include more serious, progression-blocking issues such as black screens and enemies being stuck in certain missions. Cyberpunk 2077’s Hotfix 1.21 also includes overall stability improvements, user interface changes, and various visual and gameplay fixes (e.g., NCPD officers will no longer suddenly spawn behind the player’s back when a crime is committed on the roof of a building).

Hotfix 1.21 for #Cyberpunk2077 is live on PC, consoles and Stadia! In this update we focused on further improving the overall stability of the game and fixing the most common issues that could block...

Continue reading...

Will check it out tonight and see if I notice any differences
I sent my 1080Ti to my brother- not fast enough to really enjoy this game anyway- but I'm paying attention to the state of the game regardless. I might do a potato run on this 1660Ti, but I really would like to do a solid playthrough with all the pretties turned on... sometime this decade.

Overall, my experiences with 1.20 and 1.21 have been very positive. Visual glitches have almost been eliminated entirely, and I've noticed a definite increase in overall performance. I rarely experienced any of the quest related issues, so there hasn't been any changes for me on that front. Then again, most of what I've done since these patches were applied are benchmark runs and general messing around in the world. I haven't done too many actual quests. So keep that in mind.

I've got a ton of hours in this game, but aside from general mayhem inside the game, I don't really play it much anymore and won't until they add new content. I can go on and on about how useless these types of fixes are so late after the game's release, but that's another wall of text for another time.

So they are basically to the point where the game is almost ready to release?

I can go on and on about how useless these types of fixes are so late after the game's release, but that's another wall of text for another time.

I can understand the frustration for those who buy at launch, but there are q whole lot of us who don't even consider buying games until a year or more after launch.

Heck, I just played through Dishonored, the original one from 2012 for the first time. It was quite fun to render smoothly in 8K DSR on a 4k screen with a 5 year old GPU :p

I'm biding my time, and will play the game when it is nice and cheap, and when I have a GPU that can actually render it well at 4k.

So they are basically to the point where the game is almost ready to release?

Not even close. It's probably closer to where it needs to be on a technical level, but the immersive aspects and features promised are still MIA. For one thing, you can't interact with water at all. You can swim in it, but the surface never reacts to objects entering it. A car being driven off the peer will never result in a splash or surface reaction. Fire is the same way. Fire doesn't spread and doesn't really damage the environment. It will damage you, but it doesn't spread the way it can in GTA V as an example. NPC's are still stupid as hell. If you park a car on a sidewalk, the NPC's will just turn around and go back the other way or just stop right there. You can't even shoot out tires on vehicles in the game. It's not even remotely close to where it should be in terms of immersion. The world is only believable if you play the story and don't try to interact with it.

That being said, it's still a great game to **** around in, but it's far from what we were promised it would be. While I enjoyed the game immensely (I have 409 hours in it), the game is disappointing in the sense that it's far less than what was promised by CDPR. It was originally billed as a rags to riches story with a branching narrative that would raise the level of immersion in open world games. Sadly, a lot of those immersive design elements are only present in heavily scripted story missions and no where else.

Last edited:
Not even close. It's probably closer to where it needs to be on a technical level, but the immersive aspects and features promised are still MIA. For one thing, you can't interact with water at all. You can swim in it, but the surface never reacts to objects entering it. A car being driven off the peer will never result in a splash or surface reaction. Fire is the same way. Fire doesn't spread and doesn't really damage the environment. It will damage you, but it doesn't spread the way it can in GTA V as an example. NPC's are still stupid as hell. If you park a car on a sidewalk, the NPC's will just turn around and go back the other way or just stop right there. You can't even shoot out tires on vehicles in the game. It's not even remotely close to where it should be in terms of immersion. The world is only believable if you play the story and don't try to interact with it.

That being said, it's still a great game to **** around in, but it's far from what we were promised it would be. While I enjoyed the game immensely (I have 409 hours in it), the game is disappointing in the sense that it's far less than what was promised by CDPR. It was originally billed as a rags to riches story with a branching narrative that would raise the level of immersion in open world games. Sadly, a lot of those immersive design elements are only present in heavily scripted story missions and no where else.

So, the thoughts are that these outstanding features probably will never be fixed, I am guessing?

So, the thoughts are that these outstanding features probably will never be fixed, I am guessing?

It's not a matter of fixing them. They were never built in the first place. Features promised like the police reputation system, police chasing you, etc. were never coded. Fire and water behaving like they should, or AI for NPC's, etc. aren't bugs as much as they are unfinished aspects of the game. Whether or not they build these things in remains to be seen. My guess is that some low hanging fruit will be done and added with DLC updates and content patches. The bigger elements could be implemented with the larger planned expansions, but my guess is that the level of interactivity isn't going to increase much if at all.

The game is never going to live up to CDPR's promises.

The game is never going to live up to CDPR's promises.
That's really the sad part. They might get a few DLCs out of it down the line, but it never will be the game they promised and we hoped for.

That said it's still not a bad game, I enjoyed it immensely. My biggest gripe with it is not the missing features but the extremely limiting story.
If the rumors can be believed silverhand was supposed to appear much later in the game, leaving you to immerse yourself in mercenary life. But in the version we got as soon as the city opens up and you can go anywhere you are already stuck with the unwanted partner and a ticking clock, which really prevented me from fully enjoying the sights and sounds of Night City. And then there is the ending in which basically doesn't matter what you do. You still loose.

That's really the sad part. They might get a few DLCs out of it down the line, but it never will be the game they promised and we hoped for.

I guess that's partly my good luck as I never realy looked into the game as I wanted to go in knowing as little as possible to aavoid spoilers.

That said it's still not a bad game, I enjoyed it immensely. My biggest gripe with it is not the missing features but the extremely limiting story.
If the rumors can be believed silverhand was supposed to appear much later in the game, leaving you to immerse yourself in mercenary life. But in the version we got as soon as the city opens up and you can go anywhere you are already stuck with the unwanted partner and a ticking clock, which really prevented me from fully enjoying the sights and sounds of Night City. And then there is the ending in which basically doesn't matter what you do. You still loose.

There is some evidence to suggest the rumors about the story are true and that centering the story around the Johnny Silverhand character was primarily done to capitalize on Keanu's current popularity. That tells me that the original story was either weak, or not really all that complete. Earlier promotional material billed the game as a rags to riches story, which was dropped shortly after they announced hiring Keanu Reeves.

The story structure is very odd to say the least. I think it was rushed like the rest of the game. The thing is, we all want a "No Man's Sky" type of turnaround for this game but will anyone really give a **** by the time CDPR could make that happen? People keep saying the game needed another 3-6 months of development time. I think that's bullshit. The game was released more than a year or two too early. If CDPR continues to stand behind it and crank out content for it and "finish" the game, it's going to take two or three years to achieve that which would prove me right. However, I don't think they are going to do that.

I think they'll give us some things via the free DLC's they promised and they'll create some content releases that are paid expansions. But I don't think they'll complete the game as it was originally marketed.

Last edited:
The thing is, we all want a "No Man's Sky" type of turnaround for this game but will anyone really give a **** by the time CDPR could make that happen?
The Witcher 3 had strong sales years after release, so maybe?

Well, CDPR said they were committed to Cyberpunk 2077 and fixing it so that it would continue to sell for the next several years. I have no doubt that's part of the strategy.

I wonder what percentage of people who are interested have bought it already.

I mean, it was one of the most pre-ordered titles in history, right?

I wonder what percentage of people who are interested have bought it already.

I mean, it was one of the most pre-ordered titles in history, right?
I wonder what percentage who bought it gives a f anymore about the game. I mean I don't. They'd need to have a giant content expansion to make me come back to the game.

Become a Patron!
Back