Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds to Cost CD PROJEKT over $51 Million

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-cover-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

CD PROJEKT expects to lose over $51 million due to the controversy and technical issues surrounding its blockbuster sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. This is according to a lengthy report released by CD PROJEKT today, which detailed all of the company’s financials in 2020 and listed a figure of $51.3 million for provisions related to digital and retail refunds of Cyberpunk 2077. CD PROJEKT still managed to achieve a record-shattering financial year, however—a separate 2020 earnings slide deck confirmed that more than 13.7 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077 have been sold, which, coupled with ongoing sales of prior hits such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, resulted in $563 million in total sales revenue (~2.14 billion PLN) and net profit of just over $301 million (~1.15 billion PLN) for the company...

Continue reading...

But how many of those that they refunded already rebought the game after a couple patches or even on a different platform?

I read that just counting the direct refunds, they lost a minimal amount of money. Granted if the stuff from Steam, EGS, Sony, Xbox, and everything else, was factored in it would be greater but still, at the end of it all, it was still a drop in the bucket. After all said and done there was more drama than refunds for the release.

I got my purchase refunded and never bought the game again. One of those buy it when it first comes out mistakes.

Become a Patron!
Back