Cyberpunk 2077 reviews are trickling in...

• I think the game maxes out graphics no matter what hardware you have as it choose ultra everything for me as well. The only setting it didn't max out was RT, it set that to Ultra, and there is a "psycho" setting above that. DLSS was set to AUTO, but I quickly changed that to Balanced, it runs well now, but I think I'll change it to quality, as everything seems too blurry now Idk. what is the actual resolution for the balanced setting but it's definitely too low for me.

I upped the DLSS preset to quality , now the game looks fine, the blur is gone. And it still runs OK. I couldn'T tell the FPS as I have no overlay that works, been trying to get it working with msi afterburner but had no luck, what free software could I use?

I started as street kid, but had the exact same experience, it ended too fast and too abruptly. And then the game shown a montage of flashing images of how V became friends with a guy instead of actually befriending him. This way I couldn't care lass about the guy. Really crap exposition.
I actually like what they did here. I don't need to spend hours building relationship with a sidekick. Lets meet and great, and move to the action. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I've read it's more an action game than an RPG, besides I was hoping for an immersive sim with RPG elements, like DeusEx.
I picked up another weapon which is much less bullet spongy. Unfortunately the weapons are level gated, which definitely makes the game more RPG than immersive. :(
I see this being an issue for a lot of people, and I blame CDPR for this one. Even though in every interview and article they highlighted that this game is first and foremost an RPG, the marketing department pushed out action packed cinematics, and now everybody is expecting an ARPG... which it isn't.

One thing's for sure... there is absolutely no way for this game to live up to its hype. Everyone expected it to be something it's not. This could really be a perfect game, with no bugs, and people would still find something to be disappointed by, because it's not what they imagined... and again, this falls back on marketing as well. But also, people have a very short memory... every Witcher game was the same upon release, broken and buggy. Witcher 3 is a great example of that... with the GOTY edition, they added an entire prologue to the game, and fixed many things that were just broken on arrival. I expect this one to get similar treatment over the next couple of years.

At the end of the game, it's just a game...

I actually like what they did here. I don't need to spend hours building relationship with a sidekick. Lets meet and great, and move to the action. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I see this being an issue for a lot of people, and I blame CDPR for this one. Even though in every interview and article they highlighted that this game is first and foremost an RPG, the marketing department pushed out action packed cinematics, and now everybody is expecting an ARPG... which it isn't.

One thing's for sure... there is absolutely no way for this game to live up to its hype. Everyone expected it to be something it's not. This could really be a perfect game, with no bugs, and people would still find something to be disappointed by, because it's not what they imagined... and again, this falls back on marketing as well. But also, people have a very short memory... every Witcher game was the same upon release, broken and buggy. Witcher 3 is a great example of that... with the GOTY edition, they added an entire prologue to the game, and fixed many things that were just broken on arrival. I expect this one to get similar treatment over the next couple of years.

Been reading about the disappointment due to false expectations all day today, too. I think it's why the "official" subreddit went into invite-only mode. People seem to have created their own image of what the game was in their head and are now disappointed that the game didn't turn out that way. You can even read it in some of the reviews for major publishers. I think one poster had it right, though: The game is faithful to the source tabletop RPG to a fault. I have never played the tabletop game, nor read any of the source material, so I'll take their word for it.

A very important, some would say number one rule of interactive storytelling is: Show, don't tell.
And even though they are technically showing it, this still counts as telling as you don't experience it, you just have to take their words for it that they are friends now. It doesn't invoke an emotional connection from the player.
Yes, they shown it as an ARPG, which was my biggest reservation about the game and hoped it wouldn't be true. But it is an ARPG, why do you say it isn't?

One thing's for sure... there is absolutely no way for this game to live up to its hype.
I keep hearing this cliche, and it's not true. Plenty of games out there that could live up to the hype. If you mean it can't satisfy everybody that's true, that's impossible. But it should satisfy the majority at least.

Everyone expected it to be something it's not. This could really be a perfect game, with no bugs, and people would still find something to be disappointed by, because it's not what they imagined...
As I've said cliché. If this was a perfect game, the number of disappointed people would be in the .1 percentile. I think most folks only expected one thing: A great narrative experience. Including me. And so far from what I've seen it's about 66% of the expected quality. You can't blame me for expecting a great and immersive story.

and again, this falls back on marketing as well. But also, people have a very short memory... every Witcher game was the same upon release, broken and buggy. Witcher 3 is a great example of that... with the GOTY edition, they added an entire prologue to the game, and fixed many things that were just broken on arrival. I expect this one to get similar treatment over the next couple of years.
No, you can't blame the bugs for anything I've complained about. If anything the game runs much better than typical for me. My disappointment comes from things where I expected it to shine. Like the character creation and the narrative experience. Vanialla fallout4 has a better character creator than this, don't tell me that expecting it to at least match bethesda there was an unreasonable expectation.

What does that mean? For example I had great expectations from Last of Us 2 as well this year, I was more hyped for it than CP2077, and it didn't just live up to my expectations it surpassed them.

I think my hard and fast rule of not pre ordering games paid off here. I may even amend it to not ordering a game prior to the first large patch that fixes random cockshots.

LOL, bugs start to intensify after first half of Act 1. I just noticed my character is naked all the time. Clothes show in photo mode, or in the inventory screen, but I look down and completely naked, kind of immersion breaking. Especially riding a bike butt naked.

As for the story I went from meh, to absolutely hating it, then back to meh. It's definitely not the experience of a lifetime yet. Those who skip it doesn't miss much imo. It's not terrible but not great either.

LOL, bugs start to intensify after first half of Act 1. I just noticed my character is naked all the time. Clothes show in photo mode, or in the inventory screen, but I look down and completely naked, kind of immersion breaking. Especially riding a bike butt naked.

As for the story I went from meh, to absolutely hating it, then back to meh. It's definitely not the experience of a lifetime yet. Those who skip it doesn't miss much imo. It's not terrible but not great either.
I didn't have time to play it last night. Are you doing any of the side quests? How is that content?

I didn't have time to play it last night. Are you doing any of the side quests? How is that content?
I've tried a few, they are basic, simplistic MMO level stuff. It's more like activities than quests. Errand boy stuff, or clearing an area of hostiles.
I doubt I'll go out of my way to do them. Besides the narrative suggests a kind of urgency to it, it is very immersion breaking for me to then go around doing random stuff.

A very important, some would say number one rule of interactive storytelling is: Show, don't tell.
And even though they are technically showing it, this still counts as telling as you don't experience it, you just have to take their words for it that they are friends now. It doesn't invoke an emotional connection from the player.
Yes, they shown it as an ARPG, which was my biggest reservation about the game and hoped it wouldn't be true. But it is an ARPG, why do you say it isn't?
Well... I'm only about 10 hours into the game and I'm not seeing the typical ARPG action (I mean.. it's there if I go look for it in forms of the gigs or side quests or if I just want to go on a rampage and start shooting people up), but that's not how I play the game. It allows me role play my character in the way I choose. I look around, shop for items, go to restaurants for ****s and giggle, walk around freely.... if I tried doing that in Just Cause for example, I would be dead within 2 minutes.

As I've said cliché. If this was a perfect game, the number of disappointed people would be in the .1 percentile. I think most folks only expected one thing: A great narrative experience. Including me. And so far from what I've seen it's about 66% of the expected quality. You can't blame me for expecting a great and immersive story.
I dunno what you expected. I also don't know how far into the game you are and what you have experienced. But for me, based on my 10 hours of play so far, I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing and I find the dialogue to be well written. I enjoy the humor they're selling.

No, you can't blame the bugs for anything I've complained about. If anything the game runs much better than typical for me. My disappointment comes from things where I expected it to shine. Like the character creation and the narrative experience. Vanialla fallout4 has a better character creator than this, don't tell me that expecting it to at least match bethesda there was an unreasonable expectation.
CDPR makes their very first character creator.
People's reaction: why isn't it better than character creator from that other company that's been doing character creators for 20+ years?

Again.. this could be because my expectations for this game have been vastly different than yours. And that's fine.

I posted in another thread here about this game, about my level of expectations... and I said I was expecting a Witcher 2 level game. It's the first time for them to be doing a lot of things in here, and I think this game meets those expectations perfectly.

Could it be better and more fleshed out? Sure... anything can always be made better (don't get me started on driving with a mouse/kb.. it's abysmal, IMO). CDPR made one great game in their past... and it took 2 major expansions and numerous patches and overhauls to get it to that level of great. Expecting CP2077 to be same level of great out of the box is expecting a lot, IMO.

What does that mean? For example I had great expectations from Last of Us 2 as well this year, I was more hyped for it than CP2077, and it didn't just live up to my expectations it surpassed them.
It means it's just another entertainment medium for people to enjoy. Doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it, but it really is its only purpose. It's just a game. And just like movies, board games, books... if you don't enjoy it, than why invest time playing it, especially since there are so many other games out there.

Well... I'm only about 10 hours into the game and I'm not seeing the typical ARPG action (I mean.. it's there if I go look for it in forms of the gigs or side quests or if I just want to go on a rampage and start shooting people up), but that's not how I play the game. It allows me role play my character in the way I choose. I look around, shop for items, go to restaurants for ****s and giggle, walk around freely.... if I tried doing that in Just Cause for example, I would be dead within 2 minutes.
Never played just cause so the comparison eludes me. But the flying damage numbers off enemies are kind of a dead giveaway of an ARPG. I'm about 7 hours into the game, just started act 2.
I dunno what you expected. I also don't know how far into the game you are and what you have experienced. But for me, based on my 10 hours of play so far, I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing and I find the dialogue to be well written. I enjoy the humor they're selling.
Humor? We must be playing a different game then. Because I don't remember anything I'd consider humorous.
CDPR makes their very first character creator.
People's reaction: why isn't it better than character creator from that other company that's been doing character creators for 20+ years?
I brought up bethesda exactly because they suck in that department. And CDPR failed to meet even that standard. If I wanted to cite a positive example I'd have said APB, but there was no point in that comparison.
Again.. this could be because my expectations for this game have been vastly different than yours. And that's fine.
There are a few people who are satisfied with it, but the complaints are numerous. If you are satisfied with it, that's fine. But don't blame those who expected more than a bellow average character creator.
I posted in another thread here about this game, about my level of expectations... and I said I was expecting a Witcher 2 level game. It's the first time for them to be doing a lot of things in here, and I think this game meets those expectations perfectly.
Actually to me Witcher2 was the best game in the series, so there is that.

Could it be better and more fleshed out? Sure... anything can always be made better (don't get me started on driving with a mouse/kb.. it's abysmal, IMO). CDPR made one great game in their past... and it took 2 major expansions and numerous patches and overhauls to get it to that level of great. Expecting CP2077 to be same level of great out of the box is expecting a lot, IMO.
Driving is one of the things where my expectations were met, it's a bit better even than expected, a few physics bugs notwithstanding.

It means it's just another entertainment medium for people to enjoy. Doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it, but it really is its only purpose. It's just a game. And just like movies, board games, books... if you don't enjoy it, than why invest time playing it, especially since there are so many other games out there.
Don't be gatekeeping now. I paid for it, so I'm going to play it while I get more fun than frustration. An imperfect game can offer some fun too. I'd play zero games if I was only allowed to play games I find absolutely no faults with.

Now that there is some more legitimate discussion going on, it sounds like CDPR were pressured to release the game before it was done. This is the problem when you're a publicly traded company. Hopefully they will pull a Witcher and we'll get an "Enhanced Edition" where the game is actually finished.

Going to spend more time playing it this weekend.

Someone said the game feels like DeusEx, I'm not feeling that. Maybe Human Revolution a bit. It seems things work intermittently in the game. Now I get the bullet sponge effect even more. Some dudes take two clips unloaded in the head, but can be taken down by two swings of the bat?! This is all over the place. An 585MB update just dropped as I quit the game, will see tomorrow if that changes anything.

As for gameplay so far I've tried sneaking around but most of the time it's just not possible, there is always an enemy looking directly at you. THere is no way to sneak past everyone, and if one spots you it always turns into a massacre. This happens to me every time, I try sneaking around and it works for a few minutes but then it's just turns into a bloodbath anyway. Maybe I should quit trying to sneak around.

The most common bug I get is items getting frozen mid air and just floating there forever. Like guy walks past me but his cell phone or cigarette stops and hangs in the air while he continues talking on nothing.

PS: anyone knows how to get rid of the police? It seems if they are alerted they keep coming out of the walls until you die or run out of ammo.

Someone said the game feels like DeusEx, I'm not feeling that. Maybe Human Revolution a bit. It seems things work intermittently in the game. Now I get the bullet sponge effect even more. Some dudes take two clips unloaded in the head, but can be taken down by two swings of the bat?! This is all over the place. An 585MB update just dropped as I quit the game, will see tomorrow if that changes anything.

As for gameplay so far I've tried sneaking around but most of the time it's just not possible, there is always an enemy looking directly at you. THere is no way to sneak past everyone, and if one spots you it always turns into a massacre. This happens to me every time, I try sneaking around and it works for a few minutes but then it's just turns into a bloodbath anyway. Maybe I should quit trying to sneak around.

The most common bug I get is items getting frozen mid air and just floating there forever. Like guy walks past me but his cell phone or cigarette stops and hangs in the air while he continues talking on nothing.

PS: anyone knows how to get rid of the police? It seems if they are alerted they keep coming out of the walls until you die or run out of ammo.
If you run from the area the police will disappear and forget all about you.

Kind of glad I haven't had a chance to play it yet, I guess; mandatory (paid) overtime and family visiting and all that.

And I'm not wearing headphones for this; the LSR 305s and 10" studio sub (and the neighbors) are getting the full experience when my vacation hits next week!

I find sneaking by itself a bit pointless, and often end up with similar results to yours.

Sneaking with hacks? Totally OP. Blind them, distract them, and don't forget to turn security cameras off... I can easily wipe out entire areas without raising alarms. Oh, and if a quest requests you finish the job hush-hush, that usually means there's another entry point somewhere around the corner. The quest marker will point you to the front door, so you need to look around.

Yeah, what @Armenius said... just leave the area.

Some dudes take two clips unloaded in the head, but can be taken down by two swings of the bat?!

I remember reading in one of the reviews where he gave up on guns and just used a sword because it was 1-2 hits to kill vs 20 headshots. I'm sure weapons will get rebalanced at some point.

So I'm sure someone will get a chuckle out of this.... I bought it on Google Stadia. The reviews say the Stadia version is surprisingly good, somewhere between the consoles and uber PC. Google is running a promotion until 12/17 that if you buy Cyberpunk you get a free 4K stadia premier "kit" which comes with the controller and a 4K chromecast ultra.

On top of that, if you sign up for Stadia Pro (free the first month, $10 a month after. Lots of "free" games on there. Think similar to Xbox Gamepass or PS Now) you get $10 off your first game purchase.

So for $49 you get the game, and the 4K Chromecast Ultra, and the wireless controller. I think either of those items alone is $30-40. So basically a good deal on both and the game is free. I can cancel the Stadia Pro subscription later if I want. And hey if I hate it I can always use the Chromecast on another TV or sell the stuff. I've been interested to try Stadia and this seems like a super cheap way to do it, and I get an awesome game for free.

We'll see how it plays... I don't know how long it takes for the stuff to ship. I'd be shocked if I get it before Xmas, but I'm not in a huge rush.

Become a Patron!
Back