Cyberpunk 2077 Was Only Hated On Because It Was the “Cool” Thing to Do, CDPR Says

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Cyberpunk 2077 launched in December 2020 with a long list of bugs and glitches, but apparently, that had nothing to do with the RPG's initial reception, which was hugely negative. In a new interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Michał Platkow-Gilewski, CD Projekt's VP of PR and communication, explained that Cyberpunk 2077 was only hated on at launch because it was the "cool" thing to do, sharing his belief that the game was actually in a "way better" shape than what the majority of press and early players had been implying. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, the new expansion that requires up to an NVMe SSD, is out on September 26, 2023 for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S.

See full article...

Only? No. There was definitely a bandwagon effect and it got more hate because of it. But we didn't imagine the clothes and hair disappearing from the player character and constant T posing.

Always good to feel better about a game release months later after you finally got it to run decent with multiple patches. It's becoming the norm now.

Even with the bugs, the left out (but originally planned) features, it was still a good game. I only saw the occasional T pose and didn't have any of the other issues, aside from some graphical glitches on occasion.

But now this is really a great game. The core game/story is good, but the modding community has fleshed out some features that really bring it to another level. Vehicle combat (which is also coming in the next big patch with the upcoming dlc), and flying vehicles. Those really make it quite cool.

Anyone who hasn't played it, it's definitely worth checking out.

The game launched in a horrendously unfinished state and it fell well short of the lofty expectations that CDPR's multi-year hype train set for the game. I do think there is an element of truth to what CDPR says but I think the game absolutely deserved most of the criticism it got.

Honestly I don't remember reading that much negative press about the game. Granted I'm not that plugged in lately but I remember hearing about some of the bugs but overall it was fairly well received I thought.

The game launched in a horrendously unfinished state and it fell well short of the lofty expectations that CDPR's multi-year hype train set for the game. I do think there is an element of truth to what CDPR says but I think the game absolutely deserved most of the criticism it got.
I think it was the hype trains fault. Plus the proclamations of development for 50 years didn't help. I don't know if said proclamations were made by cdpr themselves or just ' people' but next time they need to stop/ deny them. Having things in your focus board, a twinkle in your eye and writing stuff in a napking every 2 years isn't development.

"I actually believe Cyberpunk on launch was way better than it was received, and even the first reviews were positive. Then it became a cool thing not to like it. We went from hero to zero really fast. That was the tough moment. We didn’t know what was happening. We knew that the game is great, yes we can improve it, yes we need to take time to do it, and we need to rebuild some stuff." -Michał Platkow-Gilewski, VP of PR and Communication

Someone has a VERY incorrect memory. The game was broken, buggy, ran like @ss, was missing features, and was just all sorts of f*cked up at launch. People weren't hating on the game for no reason. It wasn't because it was "cool" to hate on it. CDPR was being called out for their sh1tty, lackluster effort.

The game launched in a horrendously unfinished state...I think the game absolutely deserved most of the criticism it got.
That is for d4mn sure.

"I actually believe Cyberpunk on launch was way better than it was received, and even the first reviews were positive. Then it became a cool thing not to like it. We went from hero to zero really fast. That was the tough moment. We didn’t know what was happening. We knew that the game is great, yes we can improve it, yes we need to take time to do it, and we need to rebuild some stuff." -Michał Platkow-Gilewski, VP of PR and Communication

Someone has a VERY incorrect memory. The game was broken, buggy, ran like @ss, was missing features, and was just all sorts of f*cked up at launch. People weren't hating on the game for no reason. It wasn't because it was "cool" to hate on it. CDPR was being called out for their sh1tty, lackluster effort.

That is for d4mn sure.
There was an internet bandwagon effect to capitalize on clicks and views for revenue generation, though. Plenty of people were enjoying the game in spite of the launch issues, which were still pointed out, but I believe that it definitely became "cool" to hate on the game. You still see people around the internet talking about issues that haven't been in the game for nearly 2 years at this point, making it obvious that they have never played the game themselves. But the cross-generation console release really didn't help matters.

Become a Patron!
Back