Destiny 2’s Steam Debut Has Been Quite the Disaster

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's a frustrating day to be a Guardian. Destiny 2's latest expansion (Shadowkeep) and its free-to-play edition (New Light) launched on Steam today, but Bungie wasn't prepared for how hard the servers would be hammered. As indicated by the company's official help account, @BungieHelp, both Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 have been taken offline due to "emergency maintenance."

Many gamers can't sign in, while others have been placed in massive queues that continue to increase. There were also issues with purchasing Silver (Destiny's in-game currency for buying customizations), but that seems to have been resolved. It's hard to say when servers will finally stabilize (according to one poster, the game has been down for over five hours).

Players started experiencing some server stability issues since launch. But after a brief queue, the game started to open for players. An hour or after the launch, Destiny 2’s servers started to melt down. A sizable chunk of players got kicked out of the game and placed in an endless queue. Constant server issues plagued Destiny 2 players who were still in game; they were unable to change their loadout or pick loot up off the ground.

I had no issue getting in right away. It seems your definition of disaster is quite different than mine.
This was problem one of the smoothest platform changes/launches in history for a major title like this.

I had no issue getting in right away. It seems your definition of disaster is quite different than mine.
This was problem one of the smoothest platform changes/launches in history for a major title like this.

I have to wonder how many of these have actually happened.

A disaster? Works fine for me. Let's not do sensational clickbait titles.

Also, Destiny 2 has migrated off an entire platform (Bnet) and into a new one (Steam) over a 24 hour period. It's not just a new expansion, it's a platform migration.

Anyone who's done a major platform migration knows that it's going to be rough for the first day or two when your entire userbase tries to login to the new platform.

Considering the migration, the (likely) large influx of players because of F2P, and having a new expansion drop; this was quite a tame launch compared to a lot of others. I've played WoW on and off for the past 15 years, and essentially every expansion or large content update has had similar issues, they also don't always affect all players.

Also, Bungie has literally been communicating the implications of this platform migration + new expansion + new F2P model for months.

Again, the click-bait nature of this title (QUITE THE DISASTER LOL) is frustrating to me. Can we not be one of those sites?

Looks like some of you weren't actually playing yesterday, because it was an actual disaster. It went live around 1PM EST and seemed to work OK until right around 3PM or so when it all went to ****. I got home around 4:20 and couldn't get into the game until about 6PM and even then I would constantly get booted from the tower. At around 7/8 everything seemed to be working pretty well. Also this happens EVERY TIME bungie launches a big expansion. There is no excuse for this BS from bungie, they aren't some indie dev who can't handle more than 100 players at a time.

Wrong, I was playing yesterday. I think you need to reset your expectations. Platform migrations + new application deployments + huge influx of users is an enormous undertaking. The game was hard to login for 5 hours. Your definition of "disaster" is hilarious.

Wrong, I was playing yesterday. I think you need to reset your expectations. Platform migrations + new application deployments + huge influx of users is an enormous undertaking. The game was hard to login for 5 hours. Your definition of "disaster" is hilarious.

I've played Destiny 2 since launch, this happened every single time new content launched. It's a disaster for a launch of this type of game, this isn't WoW and is nowhere near the player base. Nobody could login during the prime playing time in the US.

I've played Destiny 2 since launch, this happened every single time new content launched. It's a disaster for a launch of this type of game, this isn't WoW and is nowhere near the player base. Nobody could login during the prime playing time in the US.

Please. I've been playing Destiny since beta for Destiny 1 (can we please drop the whole "I've been playing since X" thing as if it gives anyone authority on software deployments).

Most of their major launches/expansions have gone off without too much trouble...not a "disaster". Also, their expansions are major launches, not simple patches.

Also, D2 is a completely different game from WoW lol. It has the largest player-base of any game of its kind and it's not even close. The Division and Anthem have had their share of problems and smaller player bases...while Destiny 2 has over 1 million active players and probably much higher than that as of now.

Again, adjust your expectations. They did a fine job. 5 hours of being unable to login after:

1. Migrating users from one platform to another
2. Implementing a major revision
3. Handling a huge influx of new acounts

Is actually pretty impressive from a Sysadmin standpoint.

But then again, someone who's a sysadmin would actually understand that.

Please. I've been playing Destiny since beta for Destiny 1 (can we please drop the whole "I've been playing since X" thing as if it gives anyone authority on software deployments).

Most of their major launches/expansions have gone off without too much trouble...not a "disaster". Also, their expansions are major launches, not simple patches.

Also, D2 is a completely different game from WoW lol. It has the largest player-base of any game of its kind and it's not even close. The Division and Anthem have had their share of problems and smaller player bases...while Destiny 2 has over 1 million active players and probably much higher than that as of now.

Again, adjust your expectations. They did a fine job. 5 hours of being unable to login after:

1. Migrating users from one platform to another
2. Implementing a major revision
3. Handling a huge influx of new acounts

Is actually pretty impressive from a Sysadmin standpoint.

But then again, someone who's a sysadmin would actually understand that.

This. I'm only an entry level Sysadmin, but I've seen some deployments that have more issues with a few hundred users.

I will say this... this thread got me to transfer my Destiny 2 license to Steam. ;) So thanks for that.

This. Rediculous it's making me redownload the entire thing again.... but cest le vie, I haven't played in a really long time

This. Rediculous it's making me redownload the entire thing again.... but cest le vie, I haven't played in a really long time
Ouch make sure you uninstall the old one then that's a beast to double install.

Ouch make sure you uninstall the old one then that's a beast to double install.
I tried copying the old one over to the Steam install and then deleting the download cache/restarting Steam to see if it would pick up the files and just patch what needed... but no go.

Honestly, as far as migrations go it went pretty well. Bungie did underestimate capacity, but the issues with logins and queues were remedied in a few hours. It's been taken down a couple times for brief maintenance, but its taken less than an hour each time. It's been up most of the time since it launched on Steam. Given the nature of the migration and the steps of the process that had to be done by the user's themselves, and enabling cross saves at the same time, I think Bungie did good overall.

Become a Patron!
Back