Diablo IV Won’t Be Playable Offline, nor Is It Coming Any Time Soon

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Blizzard was off to a good start when it announced Diablo IV with a stunning cinematic trailer and playable build at this year's BlizzCon event, but as the panels rolled on, more and more bad information began trickling out. Something that seems to bother fans in particular is the game's online-only nature, which should come to no surprise to those who invested in Diablo III (the console versions do get local co-op, however).

Director Luis Barriga also admitted that Diablo IV isn't anywhere close to complete: "We are not coming out soon. Not even 'Blizzard soon'." Keep in mind that Diablo III was announced in 2008 but didn't come out until 2012. That means the fourth chapter may not launch until 2023.

“A game of this scope takes time,” explains game director Luis Barriga. “We’re not coming out soon – not even Blizzard soon.” Barriga describes the current build as a “first early step in the journey,” and reiterates that Diablo IV is still early in development – so it look like it’ll be a while before Blizzard shows it again, let alone announces a release date.

Why is this not expected? Blizzard has always started the hype early.

You also can't turn off random player encounters from other games. I'm waiting for Torchlight 3 lol.

Reactions: _k_
Ugh, another Diablo game that can't be fully played offline (even though the console versions of Diablo 3 could). No money from me then. Where's Torchlight 3???

If no Torchlight 3 I'll happily take Grimm Dawn 2. That game was addicting. And could get super hard. Diablo 4 seems to be catering to the new multiplayer age and ignoring the coop lan party greatness of days gone by.

If no Torchlight 3 I'll happily take Grimm Dawn 2. That game was addicting. And could get super hard. Diablo 4 seems to be catering to the new multiplayer age and ignoring the coop lan party greatness of days gone by.

As much as I love the game I really hate the graphics and the overall art direction so I'd love to see an upgraded sequel but Crate is still actively working on the first one so I don't know if we'll see a sequel any time soon unfortunately.

Become a Patron!
Back