DirectStorage 1.1 Is Coming Soon, Enabling Faster Loading Times of Up to 40% in Supported Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The next version of DirectStorage is capable of speeding game loading times by up to 40%.

Go to post

We have the first version, its kinda like that weird screwdriver thing in the toolbox with the funny shape. You know you have the tool if you ever need it but you dont have any screws that fit - not even from Apple.

I keep hoping something on the market will get an update - maybe they have been waiting for 1.1?

Loading a campaign in Fantasy Grounds could certainly use a boost! Bunches of other stuff could too - Funny City of Heroes used to take a while, now its almost instant. Go future tech, right? I think I remember when 5gb was a big game.

I remember when HardOCP was young and a game company released a DEMO that was 100MB and everyone was like. "WHOAH NOW!! That's too **** big.". Lol I remember when 12 floppy disks to install a game was a lot... Of course I also remember when you could have a full game installed on a 1.2 mb floppy and still have space to save files.

So yea... as the years have gone by size has increased almost at pace with storage capacity and speed.

I remember when HardOCP was young and a game company released a DEMO that was 100MB and everyone was like. "WHOAH NOW!! That's too **** big.". Lol I remember when 12 floppy disks to install a game was a lot... Of course I also remember when you could have a full game installed on a 1.2 mb floppy and still have space to save files.

So yea... as the years have gone by size has increased almost at pace with storage capacity and speed.
I remember when CD-ROMS came out and people were saying, you'll never fill those.

Lol I remember when a 1 gigabyte hard drive was infathomably huge and used a TON of power.

I recall it took a while for me to fill up my 1st 1TB HDD, the 2TB not so much.

I have a box of 5.25" 140k per side and the floppies along with some 3.5" 400/800k within arms reach for my Apple 2c+ and apple 2gs - I really should spend more time working on those and get around to putting the ethernet card into the gs.

Remember when... we had to back up our files to petabyte-sized drives at transfer rates limited by PCIe 7? And we thought that was fast?

This comment may need some time to mature. Bookmarked to see how it ages.

Remember when... we had to back up our files to petabyte-sized drives at transfer rates limited by PCIe 7? And we thought that was fast?

This comment may need some time to mature. Bookmarked to see how it ages.
yattabytes FTW.

Become a Patron!
Back