Does anyone here have a 3D Printer?

LeRoy_Blanchard

Skillz
Staff member
Got a possible project that a 3D printer would work excellent for.

Basically, taking 1, 2 or 3 S9300 X2 (and S9150) GPUs (server GPUs) where they are passively cooled by the screamer fans in servers.

Building a fan shroud for the front of them to attach a 120MM fan (or 2) and directing the air flow inside the GPU shroud.

Oh man, wish I had a 3D printer.

That sounds like an awesome project bro. Hopefully one of the members can help a brother out here.

I'd really like to see this come to life. ;)

If you can’t find one there are several online printing services where you just upload the CAD

I have a 3d printer, no clue how much shipping and stuff would be. What were you looking at getting it printed in as I've only really played with PLA to this point. Keep in mind, 3d printers don't all act exactly the same (aka, dimensional accuracy varies slightly) so without something to test fit and modify it will be difficult to know exactly how well it'll fit without some filing down or sanding.

Guessing this is what it's gotta fit? The link you provided shows a blower fan, is this what you wanted or where you looking for a different design?

1603105091818.png

ps. It's probably cheaper to find someone that does this more often than me, I don't have any cheap method of shipping and it'll probably kill any savings you would get. Maybe find a local hobbyist or something or you may even have some sort of maker shop nearby. I'm located in SC btw. If you had dimensions I could probably save you the $20 and model it up myself as well though, it doesn't look all that complicated.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting one in the near future, but primarily I'm going to use it to build firearm accessories.

I have a 3d printer, no clue how much shipping and stuff would be. What were you looking at getting it printed in as I've only really played with PLA to this point. Keep in mind, 3d printers don't all act exactly the same (aka, dimensional accuracy varies slightly) so without something to test fit and modify it will be difficult to know exactly how well it'll fit without some filing down or sanding.

Guessing this is what it's gotta fit? The link you provided shows a blower fan, is this what you wanted or where you looking for a different design?

ps. It's probably cheaper to find someone that does this more often than me, I don't have any cheap method of shipping and it'll probably kill any savings you would get. Maybe find a local hobbyist or something or you may even have some sort of maker shop nearby. I'm located in SC btw. If you had dimensions I could probably save you the $20 and model it up myself as well though, it doesn't look all that complicated.

I don't think shipping would be all that bad. The person who designed it lives in Australia and is selling them on eBay. Shipping from there is nearly $30. I live in North Carolina, so we're next door neighbors.

Ideally I would prefer to have some sort of shroud designed that allows attaching a 120mm fan. They'll be a lot quieter than that blower fan. I just don't know how to design any of that stuff.

I don't think shipping would be all that bad. The person who designed it lives in Australia and is selling them on eBay. Shipping from there is nearly $30. I live in North Carolina, so we're next door neighbors.

Ideally I would prefer to have some sort of shroud designed that allows attaching a 120mm fan. They'll be a lot quieter than that blower fan. I just don't know how to design any of that stuff.
I have dimensions for a normal 120mm fan (actually designed and am running a 120mm grill for a PSU that I printed), but I don't have dimensions for the card or know how much space you have in front of it. I can design something for you if your not afraid of using a ruler and/or calipers ;). I made some custom combs (PSU wire combs) for someone on the [H] a while back, I just designed it and he had it printed local, but I'm fine either way just letting you know I'm not to sure on shipping and without being able to test fit will make it a bit more iffy, but if you are down I'm good with it. I think I currently have yellow, blue, red and black although I'd have to check how much I have left of each.

Edit - what I'd recommend is after we get dimensions I can print a small test piece that just has the front cover for the card and see if it fits right. It'd be almost flat and could probably send in an envelope so at least we know that it'll fit right and only cost a few cents to try.

Last edited:
What if I just send you a S9150 and you can experiment with getting the best fitment/design for a 120mm fan shroud?

What would you charge me for such services?

If you tell me how it mounts to the MB and what kind of space constraints (like does it need to be kept really short or sideways mount, or up a bit higher to clear motherboard or have a long tunnel to sit outside a case) I'll go with my usual fee of shipping costs... Really the measurements would be fine, I'd just send a couple sized templates and mark them and you tell me which fits. It'd only cost a few cents to test and I can probably have them sent out by the weekend... Rather than ~$15 shipping x2 ways. It's up to you though, whatever you prefer just trying to keep costs cheap.

Become a Patron!
Back