DOOM Eternal Won't Have Deathmatch Because Modern Gamers Can't Handle Losing

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In order to improve "player engagement," id Software has reportedly dropped deathmatch from DOOM Eternal for "Battle Mode" and "Invasion," two brand-new multiplayer modes that focus on teamwork and cooperative strategy rather than individual skillset. Based on recent comments by Creative Director Hugo Martin, at least part of it may be about appeasing crappy gamers:

"So if we come up on each other [in a Doom 2016 multiplayer match] and all the game is relying on from a design perspective is aiming and shooting, well there are going to be people who aim and shoot better than you and there's pretty much nothing you can do about that," Martin explained. "That made death a frustrating experience because it meant you were just better than me. In this game, I can overcome your incredible twitch skills with teamwork and strategy, which gives me a chance. Then it allows the game to have what 2016 had none of: metas. There's some real depth to this experience."

That's a strange thing to say, being that deathmatch is a huge part of DOOM's culture. And whatever happened to "git gud"?

Seriously, this is so wrong in so many levels. But hey, at least you now know why the game will not feature its classic deathmatch modes. Apparently, it’s more important to keep players happy and increase player engagement than to get good. In a competitive game.

whatever... I think that's a lame reason. Even games like battlefield have deathmatch. It doesn't mean you can't also make a team mode(s) that plays substantially differently.

That's what they get for messing up the 2016 versions multiplayer and not listen to the fans.

Reactions: _k_
it's left over "No child left behind" thinking .. Thanks Obama :cautious:

Not a huge loss for me (I feel the Doom-style deathmatch is covered adequately by Quake Champions), however, I would love to see a co-op campaign added to the game.

AS much as I played it in the early 90's when it was pretty much the only multiplayer FPS mode, I never quite cared for deathmatch, just because the concept felt so preposterous to me. I feel like games got more interesting starting with Counter-Strikes team based multiplayer mode, and probably culminating in the highly tactical multiplayer style of the Red Orchestra (and Rising Storm) series.

They can do whatever they want with the multiplayer, I won't be touching it. I got way over 200 hours in Doom 2016 and I never once touched the multiplayer in that game. My only concern with Doom Eternal is the single-player campaign. I got plenty of other games for deathmatch purposes (and other classic modes such as CTF). I still regularly play UT99, UT2K4, UT3, and sometimes Quake 3, Halo 1, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer, among other games. Zandronum covers my multiplayer/co-op needs for original Doom games. Co-op for Doom Eternal would be awesome to have available though. Still, gonna be weird to not have any normal multiplayer gametypes like deathmatch in Doom Eternal, especially considering the history of the IP. Oh well.

They can do whatever they want with the multiplayer, I won't be touching it. I got way over 200 hours in Doom 2016 and I never once touched the multiplayer in that game. My only concern with Doom Eternal is the single-player campaign. I got plenty of other games for deathmatch purposes (and other classic modes such as CTF). I still regularly play UT99, UT2K4, UT3, and sometimes Quake 3, Halo 1, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer, among other games. Zandronum covers my multiplayer/co-op needs for original Doom games. Co-op for Doom Eternal would be awesome to have available though. Still, gonna be weird to not have any normal multiplayer gametypes like deathmatch in Doom Eternal, especially considering the history of the IP. Oh well.

I too have no interest at all in Doom multiplayer.

I rarely have time for any multiplayer games anymore, so I play single player campaign type games where I can hop in, play for a little bit, and save my progress on a regular basis.

If I did have more time for multiplayer games, deathmatch style games would probably be the very last on my list. My go to would be team oriented tactical/strategy FPS titles. That's where I usually have the most fun.

I essentially hold the Red Orchestra series in high regard as the most interesting multiplayer game of all times. I find it strikes the perfect balance between tactical realism and teamwork, without getting into the stupid weeds like the ARMA series.

I enjoy the multiplayer, but only offline anymore. I do like playing the single player aspect of course, but I like playing against bots offline because I don't need to hear all the nonsense. I think I'm getting old..:oops:

Really hate it when games with multiplayer don't have an offline option with bots.

Yea for me the voice smack talking and other BS is crap. I've schooled young crap talkers in games many times. Admittedly for me it was in racing games that had 'area' enabled voice chat. Just stay quite and drive and some squib of a kid who was trash talking another kid will challenge you to a race not realizing you're not that kid. As you slip through yet another perfect turn you offer. "gee guess you shouldn't presume you're that great at this huh." only to get... "Wait you're not that kid." "Nope I'm not"

So yea I want a game that doesn't let people voice chat with each other unless they are in a similar age bracket or 'friends' in the system. (so parents can play with their kids and such.) don't know how they would enforce it but I'd be more apt to play it.

I can't wait for one of these games to include an idle mode for those that are too lazy or uncoordinated to push buttons.

Since your last login, you've achieved 140 kills (31% headshots) for a total of 4300xp. You've earned $22,375 for upgrades. Congrats! You've gained the coach potato skin!

This is the last I'll say on this matter as it's really off-topic: Looks like overwhelming bipartisan support if you ask me. (Presidents don't write legislation.) Also, here's a comparison chart of the 2 programs. Can't speak much to lunches in school; I either brought my own or went off campus.
Like ID's handling of Doom's Deathmatch mode .. my state has really mishandled its educational responsibilities and push kids through grade school that still can't even read in the 4th grade ... and being poor white trash, I can't afford to buy the new Doom right now anyways .. but would gladly take a free copy like we had to do with our daughter and her free school lunches that were garbage ... Thanks Obama's

There .. I tied everything together now so everything is still on topic .. kinda ..sorta :poop:

my state has really mishandled its educational responsibilities and push kids through grade school that still can't even read in the 4th grade
So are you saying you preferred the original NCLB that had much more federal involvement in your daughter's education rather than the ESSA's increased responsibilities? I thought the anti-Obama crowd was all for states rights? Or are you upset they didn't magically overnight solve the education problems in your state the moment they obtained their new responsibilities? Not sure what state you are in, but in my pathetic state we pay our teachers :poop: wages and give tax breaks to corporations who pay :poop: wages to people like you so you can't afford the new Doom. Sucks all around. Perhaps Doom can throw on some skins of business suits onto monsters so we can at least pretend to resolve our frustrations....at least for those of us that can afford to buy it.

So are you saying you preferred the original NCLB that had much more federal involvement in your daughter's education rather than the ESSA's increased responsibilities? I thought the anti-Obama crowd was all for states rights? Or are you upset they didn't magically overnight solve the education problems in your state the moment they obtained their new responsibilities? Not sure what state you are in, but in my pathetic state we pay our teachers :poop: wages and give tax breaks to corporations who pay :poop: wages to people like you so you can't afford the new Doom. Sucks all around. Perhaps Doom can throw on some skins of business suits onto monsters so we can at least pretend to resolve our frustrations....at least for those of us that can afford to buy it.
I'm pretty sure the Obama's are the final boss in the deepest depths of hell in this new Doom game .. I'm not sure though :devilish:

Become a Patron!
Back