DOOM II: RAY TRACED Mod Brings Path Tracing to id Software’s 1994 Classic

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DOOM II: RAY TRACED, a new mod based on GZDoom that introduces real-time path tracing to DOOM II: Hell on Earth, bringing shadows, reflections, and global illumination to id Software's classic 1994 sequel, is now available for download on moddb.com, creator shirokii has announced.

See full article...

Adding ray tracing to a 30 year old game is like giving a boob job to a 90 year old woman and hiring her as a stripper. Sure, her tits are new but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of her belongs in a nursing home.

Adding ray tracing to a 30 year old game is like giving a boob job to a 90 year old woman and hiring her as a stripper. Sure, her tits are new but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of her belongs in a nursing home.
You sir have won the internet today!

I'd pay for that :);):p

I often check DSOG which is primarily focused on mods and have to say that I don't normally like the RT/reshade mods. One way or another they usually look off.

I often check DSOG which is primarily focused on mods and have to say that I don't normally like the RT/reshade mods. One way or another they usually look off.
I can't stand sites like Nexus Mods even classifying ReShade profiles as mods. They can make screenshots look amazing but in game they always break the visuals in some way. You often end up with images so dark you can't see anything or weird lighting effects that look good in the day but suck at night or something along those lines.

Even some LUT mods do this though they are often far better. For better or for worse the lighting in a game is an artistic choice. I'm not sure why games always opt for a green haze or fog like effect that you could eliminate, but a lot of them do it. I think there would be less demand for LUT and ReShade mods/profiles were game companies to knock that **** off.

Yeah but she could probably still pop her teeth out and get the job done!

Even some LUT mods do this though they are often far better. For better or for worse the lighting in a game is an artistic choice. I'm not sure why games always opt for a green haze or fog like effect that you could eliminate, but a lot of them do it. I think there would be less demand for LUT and ReShade mods/profiles were game companies to knock that **** off.
Couldn't agree more on this. After a bit I find it just too annoying and time-consuming to constantly tweak these kinds of things and also one of the reasons I don't like Starfield, or Bethesda games in general, along with No Mans Sky. I've got other games I'd rather spend my time playing.

I will, however, if I like them, install texture mods but I do scrutinize them pretty heavily. Recently installed one for Ghostbusters Remastered which is a minor upgrade and have usually liked what Halk Hogan has done with the TW3. His next one coming out in November has me rethinking if I'll do yet another playthrough.

DF recently looked at the game:
Which is what convinced me to give it a try.

If you intend to check out this mod and you are an nVidia user, you will also need this if you want to use DLSS and DLAA (and frame gen on AdaL cards): https://github.com/vs-shirokii/RTGL/releases/tag/1.6.3

I decided to use DLAA. In the first level of the game, my framerate was about 70-100 fps at 1440p, although in the outdoor section it got as high as 120 fps. I did also test DLSS2. With that set to Quality Mode, framerate was solidly in the mid 100fps-range in that same first level, and in the outdoor area it got to 200fps. This is the mode I would probably have to use if I was running this at 4K. I also checked out a few more levels, using DLAA, and sometimes the framerate got a bit lower (like into the 60s) as the levels got more complex, but overall the performance was about the same as in the first level.

The voxel models breathe new life into the enemies. It's quite interesting. Makes them a bit more grounded, and appear more as if they are part of the 3D environment. I still prefer the sprites, but dang if the voxel models aren't interesting. Same goes for the item pickups. The Spectres look really cool with the voxel models.

The RT graphics and how the new lighting changes the mood and atmosphere of the levels help give the levels a very fresh feel. I like the reflections too, like on the water surface.

What's neat about the blood splattering on the wall is that it then becomes a reflective surface before it drips down off the wall. The blood is a bit silly, over-the-top, and crazy-lookin' when those massive globs burst outta enemies when you kill them, but it's cool that it is a real-time dynamic fluid simulation. You can turn it off if you wish.

The colored lighting, and the light ray bounces that pick up color information from the surfaces they bounce off of, really do wonders for changing up the feel of the levels. It's just a very nice change of pace. Also I usually have a problem with the darkness in Doom 2 (which Brutal Doom alleviated by giving the player a flashlight, which I really appreciated), but here with this path-traced version of Doom 2 the darkness isn't as much of a problem, due to the bounce lighting.

Overall a very neat and interesting experiment, and a cool way to re-play Doom 2 if you are already familiar with the game. It reminds me of Quake 2 RTX and Portal RTX in that way. I've already gone through Doom 2 using the Brutal Doom mod, so this path-traced version would be another very interesting way to go through the game again. Not that I will do so any dang time soon, cuz Doom 2 is a long game. And also I'm currently playing the new Doom 2 expansion Legacy of Rust that was included with the Nightdive remaster of Doom 1 + 2. But it's extremely interesting and fascinating what this path-tracing mod's new lighting does for the mood and atmosphere of the game. Much like with HL1 RT. I couldn't play through HL1 RT though because after you've played Black Mesa, it is haaaard to go back to original HL1.

This path-traced Doom 2 mod is a waaaay better effort than what I've seen of the other guy and his ray-tracing mods for Doom 1, Serious Sam 1, and a few other games (which I think includes HL1 RT).

The voxel models breathe new life into the enemies. It's quite interesting. Makes them a bit more grounded, and appear more as if they are part of the 3D environment. I still prefer the sprites, but dang if the voxel models aren't interesting. Same goes for the item pickups. The Spectres look really cool with the voxel models.

It looks somewhat like a Minecraft mod.

I'm not fond of how it looks, its like its overexposed, too bright in some instances, like it lacks contrast. Hopefully some fine tuning will solve this.

I'm not fond of how it looks, its like its overexposed, too bright in some instances, like it lacks contrast.
It looks really f*cked up in videos, and I was turned off on it initially. I wasn't gonna bother to check it out, but DF made me curious. Cuz otherwise yeah, I would agree with yah. But my rule usually is to just try sh1t out for myself, rather than rely on anyone else's opinion. When I ran the game in real-time it looked more acceptable to me. It didn't have that overexposed look. Kinda reminds me of the current "5th-gen"/"A90" Toyota Supra (which I call the "Zupra"): I can't stand how it looks in videos or pictures, but in real life it's not so terrible (my friend has one). Note, I am NOT using HDR, as I have a fake 10-bit (8-bit+FRC) display.

Also there's a weird issue that when I take screenshots, the screenshots appear waaay darker than what I was seeing in-game.

It looks somewhat like a Minecraft mod.
You can turn the voxels models off. I think Ion Fury on the Build Engine handled the voxels better, but that was just for item pickups and a few world objects (like for example a light switch on a wall). This Doom 2 mod's voxel enemies are pushing things a bit too far visually, like they are some walking Lego models or some sh1t. You're absolutely right, when it comes to looking at the voxel models of dead enemies, it does look like some Minecraft sh1t. Messier in fact. But in terms of interacting with the world lighting, the voxel models work out better than the sprites. Plus the sprites always face the player, but the voxels have a real 3D presence to them, so they don't look the same from every angle. The shadows cast by the voxel models also work out much better than the shadows cast by the sprites.

Become a Patron!
Back