Driver Gets Ticketed for Mounting Starlink Dish on Car

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
starlink-logo-globe-1-1024x576.jpg
Image: Starlink

Some people are willing to go further than others to get better internet. As Starlink continues to improve in coverage and speed, one California driver decided to strap a dish to their Toyota Prius on July 2 but got pulled over by the California Highway Patrol. The driver was ticketed for violating section 26708 (a) (2) of the California Vehicle Code for obstructing their view with the dish on the hood. The driver said he was trying to operate a business out of the car.

Image: California Highway Patrol

“Sir I stopped you today for that visual...

Continue reading...

I'll mount one on my.self.driving rv when I'm a old and so I can pwn newbs and still drive around at the same time.

Satellite reception is very directional anyway, so WTF is the point of having it mounted while driving anyway?

Satellite reception is very directional anyway, so WTF is the point of having it mounted while driving anyway?
The starlink dish tracks. It would likely disconnect when you make a turn, but given a minute it would reconnect. Going straight down the road it could likely keep up with the motion most of the time.

The starlink dish tracks. It would likely disconnect when you make a turn, but given a minute it would reconnect. Going straight down the road it could likely keep up with the motion most of the time.
Is it designed to track while in motion? Because if it is not that throws of the tracking.

Is it designed to track while in motion? Because if it is not that throws of the tracking.
It's not designed to, but it tracks decently fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it could keep up, not under all conditions, but many.

It's not designed to, but it tracks decently fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it could keep up, not under all conditions, but many.
It's not about the speed of the motors, if the software is designed to track while stationary only it will cause problems, as it assumes x degrees/sec necessary, while driving at 65mph changes that significantly.

It's not about the speed of the motors, if the software is designed to track while stationary only it will cause problems, as it assumes x degrees/sec necessary, while driving at 65mph changes that significantly.
Obviously wasn't an issue for Mr. Prius.

Mount it on your roof, idiot...

Yeah, I mean, the correct way to do this would be to mount it to roof racks. Does it require direct line of sight, or can it penetrate low density materials? Because who knows how it likes 65mph+ winds. Some sort of fairing to block the wind might be in order.

Yeah, I mean, the correct way to do this would be to mount it to roof racks. Does it require direct line of sight, or can it penetrate low density materials? Because who knows how it likes 65mph+ winds. Some sort of fairing to block the wind might be in order.
It needs a very clear line of site over a pretty large area. Depending on how fast your going you might need a fairing, it isn't designed to be mounted on a car, obviously, but it is supposed to stand up to 175MPH winds.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spa...found that if,stay aligned with the satellite.

I'll mount one on my.self.driving rv when I'm a old and so I can pwn newbs and still drive around at the same time.
I know you're taking it a bit to the extreme, but once Musk has enough birds launched I expect applications to start getting interesting.

Like, boats. Of all sizes. Top of a larger off-road vehicle. Trains? Aircraft?

And imagine anything collaborative being able to be done basically anywhere on earth. Add that to remote work exploding (which will continue, especially as the definition of 'work' continues to evolve), and I think that there's some truly interesting stuff on the horizon - which includes some interesting expansions of freedom!

Become a Patron!
Back