Dune: Spice Wars Is Set to Leave Early Access and Launch Next Week on September 14

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Shiro Games has announced that Dune: Spice Wars is set to leave early access next week and it will be available via Steam and Xbox Game Pass. Although described as a 4X game the developers have added in their post on Steam that it's more of a hybrid RTS/4X which features elements of both. Other details shared include that there will be a campaign Conquest mode in which multiple players can participate and that the game has influences spanning from board games along with previous video games, plus the books and movies. However, it is not directly based on any of them. An average game can last up to 2-3 hours or as little as 30-45 minutes.

See full article...

I've never heard about this 4X either, but I was never into the grand strategy genre anyway.

I've played a couple of the Civilization games but that's as far as I've gone with these types of games. However, I played the heck out of Populus back in the day. Good times.

Civilization

Explore exploit expand something something
Exterminate.

4x games have been around for a long while. Civilization is only one example. Master of Orion (and similar sci-fi titles) is another. Any game with fog of war that requires exploration, resource gathering, and expansion to defeat AI or human foes is considered 4x.

It's really all about the extermination, but exploration, exploitation, and expansion are all necessary to the process.

Sheesh. One would think this is a forum of first person shooters. Oh wait ...

Become a Patron!
Back