EA Completes Acquisition of Codemasters, Establishing New Global Powerhouse for Racing Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
dirt-5-key-art-pink-1024x576.jpg
Image: Codemasters

EA has officially completed its acquisition of UK-based developer Codemasters. The publishing giant confirmed the news in a press release today, which noted that the $1.2 billion deal will open up a new chapter of racing game entertainment for both parties thanks to their newly combined portfolio of franchises. These include Codemaster’s Formula 1, DIRT, DiRT Rally, GRID, and Project CARS titles, which will join EA’s Need for Speed and Real Racing properties.

“This is the beginning of an exciting new era for racing games and content as we bring together the talented teams at Electronic Arts and Codemasters,” said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts. “Racing fandom continues...

Continue reading...

Bigben Interactive, who recently rebranded as Nacon. The Developers of the WRC series are working on the next Test Drive game.

back in the day, Accolade
I looked it up - actually a very interesting history. Atari had it for a while, until they went through bankruptcy. It's owned by a French publisher named Nacon right now, and they had filed for IP trademark for a new Test Drive title last year.

Nacon (formerly called BigBen) has a lot of console titles (mostly smaller Gameboy type games) - they did publish the WRC series, among a few other notable titles.

I looked it up - actually a very interesting history. Atari had it for a while, until they went through bankruptcy. It's owned by a French publisher named Nacon right now, and they had filed for IP trademark for a new Test Drive title last year.

Nacon (formerly called BigBen) has a lot of console titles (mostly smaller Gameboy type games) - they did publish the WRC series, among a few other notable titles.
If memory serves me well, Accolade did TestDrive 1 through 5, then it was bought by Infogrames, then ATARI (I think they did the Unlimited series) and now Nacon.

I played the first 3, skipped 4,5 and my last one was 6. None of the spin-offs

Am I shadowbanned?

Deepest condolences to fans of Codemasters games.

well as usual they will release 1 or 2 dissapointing games (even if they are the best games they ever made people will hate it as they are now EA, or it is missing 1 tiny feature they can't live without), the main talent will leave the studio and start a couple of smaller studio's who will crank out awesome games again.

It's the circle of life

Am I shadowbanned?

I didn’t see your post when I made mine - odds are it was sitting in my browser for an hour or two while I was working and didn’t hit Post for a while. Sorry about that

If memory serves me well, Accolade did TestDrive 1 through 5, then it was bought by Infogrames, then ATARI (I think they did the Unlimited series) and now Nacon.

I played the first 3, skipped 4,5 and my last one was 6. None of the spin-offs
You should try Test Drive Unlimited if you can find a copy. It recreated all 600 square miles of Oahu. The sequel added the 200 square mile Ibiza to go with Oahu. By comparison, Forza Horizon maps are only 30-40 square miles.

You should try Test Drive Unlimited if you can find a copy. It recreated all 600 square miles of Oahu. The sequel added the 200 square mile Ibiza to go with Oahu. By comparison, Forza Horizon maps are only 30-40 square miles.
Yeah, playing forza horizon was like a kid's toy after TDU. And terrible thing is that it's the best racing game since TDU outside of sims.

Yea and I thought the tdu servers were all shut down too. Loved that game though.

Become a Patron!
Back