Eight-Pound Chunk of Copper Makes for an Interesting CPU Cooler

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
There's big CPU coolers, and then there's really big CPU coolers. An enthusiast on the r/hardwaregore subreddit decided to see how well a relatively huge, eight-pound cylinder of copper might cool one of Intel's Core i9 processors, and the results were actually pretty good, with idle and benchmarking temperatures reported as being around 35 and 80 degrees Celsius, respectively. That-Desktop-User, who shared their findings, say that they got the copper from a pricey medical machine and isn't sure what its exact purpose is, but evidently, it functions pretty well as a passive cooler.

See full article...

Cut.....cut some fins in it. Get some air moving. Something. I did read it was threaded for WC use already which is..... weird for something out of a medical machine?

Cut.....cut some fins in it. Get some air moving. Something. I did read it was threaded for WC use already which is..... weird for something out of a medical machine?
Might not be if you're trying to cool something broadcasting energy through a person keep that device temperature stable might be important.

That 80c high point, was, after . . .15 minutes of various types of testing and idling for most of it. Soooo while impressive looking, this thing would've eventually hit some epically hot temps for a longer duration if left alone.

"I knew that it would be limited to a certain amount of time, but have not tested how long it would last. Although it is able to suck a massive amount of heat surprisingly quick. I believe when the stress test ended, it was about 80ish C and about 5-10 seconds later it was resting at about 27C."

"It ran for about 15 minutes. During that time, it was idling for most of it. It ran a benchmark that lasted about 2 minutes and a stress test that lasted about 30-45 seconds before turning it off because it was reaching too high a temperature for comfort (around 80C, although I don’t quite remember because of how absurd this experiment was, could have been higher)"

There is a bit more to this story in the OP responses in the thread. They explained that it was a piece of copper they did not weigh but estimated to be ~8-12 lbs. They also said it is internally threaded and theorized that it could be modded for liquid cooling.

"Idk the actual weight, but it’s roughly between 8-12 pounds. I don’t have a scale and I’m bad at guessing weight"

"I believe it was originally used for nitrogen and oxygen, and it would be pretty easy to switch out the fittings for larger diameter piping. The ones that it came with are like 2-4mm inner diameter which is not optimal to say the least."

Become a Patron!
Back