Elon Musk Launches Public Beta of Starlink Satellite Internet Service: $99 per Month (plus $499 in Hardware)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
starlink-logo-globe-1024x576.jpg
Image: Starlink

Sign-ups for Starlink’s so-called “Better Than Nothing” beta only went live yesterday, but users on r/Starlink have already begun sharing their acceptance emails for Elon Musk and SpaceX’s innovative new internet service, which aims to bring web access to any location on the globe with an extensive network of satellites.

According to a copy of the invite, Starlink’s beta testers can expect data speeds from 50 Mbps to 150 Mbps and latency from 20 ms to 40 ms. These estimates are actually better than some of the figures we previously shared, but SpaceX has promised that the performance will get even better after enhancements are made to the Starlink...

Continue reading...

If it turns out to be reliable (even during bad weather) with at least 100Mbps or greater throughput and sub 50ms latency then I'll drop my $70, 100Mbps cable connection for Starlink. Even at $100. Just to shove it down Spectrums throat on keeping my neck of the woods on a 100Mbps max throughput for no other reason than they have no competition so why not.

Honestly, that's REALLY good speed and latency for the target demographic this service is going after. Most of rural America is still on DSL and dialup.

That's cheaper than what I'm paying now for 10Mb DSL access, and ~much~ cheaper than I was paying for 3Mb radio link access before we had DSL.

I'll take it in a heartbeat when it comes down far enough South for me to get.

This is really promising. I have a buddy that lives outside of a major city and has zero option for internet other than random satellite services that cost a fortune for crap service and speed. He's 40 and has never had internet in his house other than his cellphone lol.. He would jump all over this!

Become a Patron!
Back