Embracer Group Announces Layoffs and Closures after Purchasing Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Other Game Studios: “It Is Painful”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Embracer Group has announced that it is undergoing a restructuring program that will make the Swedish video game and media owner a "leaner, stronger, and more focused, self-sufficient company." The program, which is divided into different phases and is expected to run until March 2024, includes layoffs, and while no names were specified in its press release, some studios and game projects are apparently being shut down as part of the process. Embracer Group is partially known for acquiring Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montreal from Square Enix in 2022. "All announced significant releases will still be released as planned," Embracer clarified.

See full article...

I wondered when redundancy reduction would come into effect

This happens all the time. If you keep all the talent everyone is going to start stepping on everyone else's toes.

"I've been with the company 5 years."

"Yea but you've only been a part of our company 6 months I've been here 3 years you need to do things this way..."

And so on... happens all of the time. PLUS the added red tape navigation when a larger organization buys up the smaller, the smaller is used to being undocumented quick and agile and just do it. Where as the larger org is more interested in long term stability and doing things for the best of the environment not the 'Just get it done' of the smaller orgs.

The culture shock always leads to some trimming of staff. Some people just can't handle the agile go go go, and others can't take the regimented document everything, seek approval, be careful approach.

Become a Patron!
Back