Embracer Group Leases Tomb Raider Rights to Amazon for $600 Million: Report

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Critics of Embracer Group say that the holding company really lucked out when it managed to acquire all of Square Enix's western studios (e.g., Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics) for only $300 million, but now it appears that the deal may be even more lucrative than anyone might have imagined. According to an exclusive report from Fellowship of Fans, a Lord of the Rings fan site, Amazon has agreed to pay Embracer $600 million to lease the rights to the Tomb Raider franchise following the news from December about how Crystal Dynamics had entered into a development and publishing agreement with Amazon Games for its new, multi-platform Tomb Raider game, which is being built on Unreal Engine 5.

See full article...

Lets hope we stop getting Laura Croft that more resembles an underfed teenager who's never seen a gym and someone more dynamic.

Lets hope we stop getting Laura Croft that more resembles an underfed teenager who's never seen a gym and someone more dynamic.
Alicia was ill suited for the role, but I think at least she tried. Unlike Natalie Portperson and her fake cgi arms.

Wow.

I knew games were bigger money these days than in the past, but if just a lease, with no development behind it is worth $600m, holy ****, is it bigger by a whole different scale than I realized.

Alicia was ill suited for the role, but I think at least she tried. Unlike Natalie Portperson and her fake cgi arms.
I'm not going to say she was the worst choice for the part but the real problem with that movie was how they neutered and destroyed the story from the first reboot game. They took absolutely everything interesting about the game and removed it leaving nothing left to work with.

That said, I don't have any real hope that Amazon will do any better. It wouldn't take much to make it better especially if they fix the other glaring problem with the reboot movie: make the movie for adults instead of tweens. The primary audience for Tomb Raider is adult and has been for a long time. It doesn't mean the content needs to be inaccessible to young adults or teens but the primary audience to shoot for must be adult.

I'm not going to say she was the worst choice for the part but the real problem with that movie was how they neutered and destroyed the story from the first reboot game. They took absolutely everything interesting about the game and removed it leaving nothing left to work with.
I think despite not being the ideal candidate she was still the best part of the movie, which says something about the rest of the movie.
That said, I don't have any real hope that Amazon will do any better. It wouldn't take much to make it better especially if they fix the other glaring problem with the reboot movie: make the movie for adults instead of tweens. The primary audience for Tomb Raider is adult and has been for a long time. It doesn't mean the content needs to be inaccessible to young adults or teens but the primary audience to shoot for must be adult.
If it is produced by amazon you know that's exactly what you'll get. Not just made for tiktok zoomer tweens, but made by zoomers as well.

Become a Patron!
Back