Emrod Testing Its First Long-Range Wireless Power Delivery System

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Emrod-NZ-1024x576.jpg
Image: Emrod

The world is going wireless, but we are still learning how to optimize wireless technology for various uses. The folks over at Tweaktown reported about an old idea that is getting new life. New Zealand startup company Emrod is pushing the envelope for power delivery. It has partnered with NZ’s second-largest electricity distribution company Powerco to develop this technology.

In 2019, after 18 months of hard work, the Emrod team had finished creating the first prototype for wirelessly...

Continue reading...

Sounds cool.

Can't imagine it being practical for anything though.

Sounds cool.

Can't imagine it being practical for anything though.

Probably for ground based installs where it is impractical or too expensive to run cabling.

Islands, mountains, etc.

I understand in theory how their laser cutoff safety would work, but safety is still a concern for me with this.

I wonder what the efficiency/power loss is for wireless power. Interesting concept but still reeks of Star Trek tech to me.

I wonder what the efficiency/power loss is for wireless power. Interesting concept but still reeks of Star Trek tech to me.

This. I get that there are some places where it's really inconvenient to run cable, but the efficiency loss (I imagine) will be pretty massive, and will make the cost of even inconvenient cable runs look like great deal.

Become a Patron!
Back