Epic Gave Away More than 19 Million Copies of Star Wars Battlefront II

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-battlefront-ii-clone-troopers-felucia-1024x576.jpg
Image: EA

Did you remember to grab your free copy of DICE’s Star Wars Battlefront II: Celebration Edition from the Epic Games Store last week? We’re certain that you did, as the promotion turned out to be more popular than anyone might’ve imagined based on a tweet shared by EA’s official Star Wars account today. Apparently, over 19 million users got in on the deal to battle against one another as Luke Skywalker, Darth Maul, Yoda, and other iconic characters at zero cost.

“More than 19M PLAYERS got #StarWarsBattlefrontII from the Epic Game Store promo!,” EA revealed. “Thank you so much for the continued support, even after our final content drop...

Continue reading...

Daaaaaang, that's a lot of free copies. Yeah I grabbed mine, but I grab most of EGS' free stuff. I mean shiat, I was grabbing free games on Origin long before I actually used Origin. Although in the case of EGS, I was already using the Epic Games Launcher before Epic even had a store cuz of the Unreal Engine 4 SDK, UnrealEd, and the UT4 alpha. I already had an account with Epic, so when they transitioned to the Epic Games Store, I didn't have to make a new account or anything, just started grabbing the free games. Although honestly I probably would have made an account if I didn't already have one - maybe not at first, but certainly after they had been giving out games for a while. I've never spent any money on EGS though, and don't think I ever will. Overall I stick to Steam and GOG. Only used Origin when I absolutely had to. Never used uPlay. Had to use Bethesda Launcher for Quake Champions beta, I couldn't get that crap off my PC fast enough. Have never used any other launcher so can't comment on them, like the Blizzard one.

I've never spent any money on EGS though, and don't think I ever will. Overall I stick to Steam and GOG. Only used Origin when I absolutely had to. Never used uPlay.
I've bought Metro Exodus and Crysis Remastered and maybe one or two others. Meanwhile, I think I've grabbed roughly a hundred free ones. Sad thing is that I hardly ever actually play them but that's mainly because I have such a backlog of games I want to finish first. I used to get a lot through Steam but in the last year, I've tried to get as much as possible from GOG. uPlay was a PIA for me and I dropped it but l might restart my account again since it looks like Ubisoft has a lot in the works these days. I've got Origin access, loved it at first, but the last couple of years have been pretty lackluster for me. I'll probably drop it this year. Doesn't help with all the times their launcher crashes from a borked update rollout or the surveys that pop up at startup. Pretty sick of it. The only other one is Rockstar which I did for RDR2 but I keep it disabled since they won't let it start minimized-I hate crap that pops up when I turn on my rigs.

Gotta admit that's a healthy number. Makes me wonder how large the computer gaming market is. 100 million? 500? Billions?

Become a Patron!
Back