Epic to Turn Off Online Services and Servers for Some Older Games, including Multiple Unreal Titles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Epic Games has announced that it will begin turning off out-of-date online services and servers for many older games in the Epic family as the company moves to solely support Epic Online Services, a newer platform that supports a unified friends system, voice chat features, parental controls, and other modern benefits.

See full article...

Did Unreal II have multiplayer? Honestly don't recall. How can UT1 and 2K3/2K4 lose online services, I thought those games use dedicated servers? Anyone can host a server. There's no way to turn off online services for those games. As for UT3, I thought it was the same deal with multiplayer. They did use cloud saves for the single-player campaign and for your account in general, including saving your settings (which I wasn't happy about). So I wonder how that might f*ck stuff up.

UT3 used to use GameSpy, but after GameSpy shut down they had to release a patch to restore that cloud save functionality and the multiplayer. Now it seems they are moving to some new service called "Epic Online Services." I don't trust Epic these days, so I'm gonna assume whatever they got planned is gonna be some sh1t.

So they removed all the games in the list, including all the Unreal games, from other storefronts, including Steam and GOG? Huh, well it seems they are indeed gone from Steam, but I still see them on GOG.

I bought a physical standalone copy of UT3 at launch in 2007, but later Epic allowed us to register our keys with Steam, so that we could have a Steam copy for free. We don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

Did Unreal II have multiplayer? Honestly don't recall. How can UT1 and 2K3/2K4 lose online services, I thought those games use dedicated servers? Anyone can host a server. There's no way to turn off online services for those games. As for UT3, I thought it was the same deal with multiplayer. They did use cloud saves for the single-player campaign and for your account in general, including saving your settings (which I wasn't happy about). So I wonder how that might f*ck stuff up.

UT3 used to use GameSpy, but after GameSpy shut down they had to release a patch to restore that cloud save functionality and the multiplayer. Now it seems they are moving to some new service called "Epic Online Services." I don't trust Epic these days, so I'm gonna assume whatever they got planned is gonna be some sh1t.

So they removed all the games in the list, including all the Unreal games, from other storefronts, including Steam and GOG? Huh, well it seems they are indeed gone from Steam, but I still see them on GOG.

I bought a physical standalone copy of UT3 at launch in 2007, but later Epic allowed us to register our keys with Steam, so that we could have a Steam copy for free. We don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

Unreal II, yes and no. You had the ability to play the game co-op with friends using mods.
Unreal Tournament, UT2k3/4 and UT3 all use master servers for the in-game server browser. That is what will be going offline. Unreal Tournament (1999) has community run master servers though, so long as you edit your ini file to include the custom master server and the hosted server is also utilizing the custom master server it will remain online.

Unreal II, yes and no. You had the ability to play the game co-op with friends using mods.
Unreal Tournament, UT2k3/4 and UT3 all use master servers for the in-game server browser. That is what will be going offline. Unreal Tournament (1999) has community run master servers though, so long as you edit your ini file to include the custom master server and the hosted server is also utilizing the custom master server it will remain online.
Aaaahhhh okay, thanks for clarifying.

Become a Patron!
Back